Rock polisher/tumbler

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
smittex

Rock polisher/tumbler

Postby smittex » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:08 pm

I saw a rock tumbler at the HF a couple of weeks ago during the clean out. Does anyone know where it is? I can't seem to find it.

Orkraider

Re: Rock polisher/tumbler

Postby Orkraider » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 pm

I think Steven found it and handed it to that yahoo from Texas.
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

smittex

Postby smittex » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:35 am

lol, thanks.

Just to let everyone know, I'm polishing some rocks in the shop office. If it gets too noisy, feel free to move it AND post here where you moved it to. The rubber drum is MUCH quieter than the rock tumbler I had as a kid, so I don't foresee any irritance to other members...

I'll be checking on it today and plan to run it until at least Wednesday to check on the results. Generally, tumblers are run for about a month. I've used regular Silicon Dioxide sand which I don't know how well will work. If need be, I'll purchase Silicon Carbide sand which will be available to other members with the suggestion of donating $8 to the HF. 1lb. each of 60/90, 150/220, 500F grit SiC, and 0.5lb. of Alumminum Oxide polish, all together, is about $30 and will process approximately 4 batches or 12lbs. of rocks.

If anyone is interested in doing their own rock polishing, post here and I'll share my methods.

Credit goes to Steve who diligently added an "alignment wire" for the barrel because a clip was missing from his tumbler.

Also to note, the old army-green enclosed saw that was by the shop office on cleaning day and was moved to the members' rack is Steve's and is a lapidary saw for cutting rocks.

smittex

Postby smittex » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:20 pm

I checked on the rock tumbler yesterday to find someone had unplugged it. This was definately not appreciated and irked me quite a bit!

Anyway, I moved it to the small room next to the classroom in case it was bugging someone. If you have an issue with it, please speak up or back off!

Thank you,
Bryan

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Try to put a note on it if you can, the space is multi-purpose and things get moved around, I know this is not optimal.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Keep in mind, as well, that we have at least 84 members currently, and not all of them read the forums.

Meatspace notes are essential.

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

Return to “General Discussion”