Site Logo

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: shop rules signs, fun fun fun!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 pm 

Hey all.

I plan on printing and posting shop rules tonight. I've talked to John about this, and will be interfacing (oooh I sound so corporate.. let's leverage our synergy!) with the department heads.

I would ask two things..

1. Read the pasted text, this is from the wiki, and let me know that this is indeed the current shop rules (Brandon?)

2. I'd really like someone who's good at doing graphic layout for signs to help me by taking this text and making it pretty, and printing them out on the plotter thingy. (Wayne?)

anyone else, let me know. Thanks!

Riley

Shop Rules

The details.

1. Be Excellent

Do not use anything in a way that will damage non-sacrificial shop infrastructure. (Don't “re-purpose” a tool permanently, mask or protect work surfaces, …)
Give notice to other members before you use tools and materials that project hazards. (Light, noise, dust, spray, VOC's, …)
Clean up your own mess promptly. (And any mess you notice that's not in progress)
Remember what you learned in kindergarten. (Wait in line, share, be polite, don't run with scissors, …)
Ask before you use a tool owned by an individual, or that states it requires training. (They should be labeled Orange or Red)
Be respectful of other members, the community and the organization.

2. Be safe

Dress appropriately (Long hair tied back, no loose clothing, appropriate footwear, eye protection, hearing protection, …)
No consumption of, or being under the influence of, intoxicants of any kind during the use of any potentially hazardous tools. (Including prescriptions or OTC drugs with warnings)
Don't blow up, launch or project anything in an unsafe fashion. (“Fire in the hole!”)
Do not use any tools you do not know how to use well enough to show a beginner how to use safely. Ask for help. (Tools labeled Yellow)
Oil or solvent soaked rags *will* spontaneously combust. Treat appropriately.
Try not to set things on fire accidentally.

3. Don't break any locally applicable laws. (Statutory or physical)

4. Always obey the shop supervisor on duty. (Supervisor on duty's word is final, however supervisor is NOT exempt from any rules)

5. If its not explicitly labeled as free, or fair game, its not. (Still, please label your project materials.)

Post subject: Re: shop rules signs, fun fun fun!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Did some test prints on the plotter this evening. Pretty good result, but heads need cleaning and the plots cut text off 5.5" from the right side. We still need to do some tweaking of settings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 am 

Awesome, Wayne, most excellent.

Did you do any layout or graphics stuff with the text?

If so, shoot me a file, if not, I might just hit kinkos to get something up.

Getting that machine working is going to be a huge asset to the space, and I'm really thankful for the time you're putting in, Wayne.

Let me know, and thanks again.

Riley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Orkraider wrote:
Awesome, Wayne, most excellent.

Did you do any layout or graphics stuff with the text?

If so, shoot me a file, if not, I might just hit kinkos to get something up.

Getting that machine working is going to be a huge asset to the space, and I'm really thankful for the time you're putting in, Wayne.

Let me know, and thanks again.

Riley
I didn't do anything fancy with graphics, just tested Arial Bold text for viewing effectiveness at 144 pt for title and 72 pt. for text. The test plots should still be near the plotter, on the right side between the plotter and printer; take a look if you get to H.F. and if they've not been discarded. I'll shoot you the Open Office test file that I used.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:03 pm 

I did a small amount of messing with this on the printer in my computer lab in my building, and had no joy at all.

Is one of the printers at the space able to print large size stuff from one of the computers we have at the shop?

Riley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:40 am 
Site Admin

Orkraider wrote:
I did a small amount of messing with this on the printer in my computer lab in my building, and had no joy at all.

Is one of the printers at the space able to print large size stuff from one of the computers we have at the shop?

Riley
The plotter in the classroom works. I printed the welcome sign in the wood shop. We ran into trouble though with a plot being cut off by 5.5" from the right side. Gotta play with settings, I guess. If we have a Windows XP computer connected to the H.F. LAN then it could use that plotter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:47 am 

It is my plan to try to print from one of the xp boxes to that plotter.

Stay tuned!

Riley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:13 am 
Site Admin

OK, I tried some things and got a full-width printout. The key to make it work was to export from OpenOffice to PDF format. Then when printing from Adobe Reader, we need to turn off "Auto-Rotate and Center."

[Edit} Yeah, and I had to plug the ethernet cable directly into the wireless router. It seems none of the ports on the multi-port switch will transmit data.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

I did some editing to cut down the number of words for a sign. With 72 pt. Arial Bold text, the sign would still be about 2 ft. wide by 8 ft. tall. This is mostly due to having 15 rules. I'm going to do another round of editing and cut this down even more. I might have a re-edited version ready sometime tomorrow or earlier; not sure if I have time to spend on it yet today.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 pm 

i don't know that the entire sign needs to be in 72pt. most big safety type signs are in ~2" letters for the title, and then 3/4" for the text, if that. we don't need to read everything from across the shop, just the "big ones" (be safe, etc) the examples and details can be a lot smaller.

i'm not keen on editing the rules w/o a bit of input, a bunch of folks put work into those to cover the important stuff without being too hard nosed about it.