Site Logo

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: New Music Studio Downstairs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 am 

So I have been waiting and waiting for this stuff to get set up and be ready to use, Does anyone have a problem with me setting it up myself? I could do it this weekend...I was really excited for this project and to start using this stuff but nothing seems to be happening. I know Adam has been busy with school, but it's kind of been a while now...I can do it where ever seems best. I kept telling people that this was happening and it seems like unless someone else steps in it probably won't....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

[EDIT: In the PM, you could indicate your intent to proceed on your own, but to contact you back if there are any concerns or suggestions.]

As far as I'm concerned, go for it! I'd like to see this thing up and running too. Maybe send a PM to Adam and find out if he has any issues with you proceeding.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 pm 

Are you kidding me? I've been trying to get your help with the project since the equipment moved in. You were the first person I approached about the project Josh! Also, you knew that I've been out of town because you were going to give me a ride??? :? Everything is in place now, maybe we could use some cables or this and that, but all that is really required is competency to use the equipment and anyone can go for it! :D

Things that we could still do that would be helpful:
Setup a hackfactory login for the computers
Start having classes so that people can learn how to take advantage of the equipment
Get a patch-bay so that we can have a static cable setup behind the equipment (so it's more user-friendly)
Right now the monitors can go 1 for each computer, it might be nice if we got a Y-cable and use my display switch box that is already there to have dual-monitor action and just use the switch box to switch between computers

If anyone has any specific ideas of what should be done with this setup, let me know! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 pm 

At the moment, I don't see this happening anymore, at least not for the time being. Most of the equipment has been moved to the member storage shelves, and the public audio setup reduced to a much simpler configuration. Without seeing any progress being made over the last couple of month, I couldn't justify having so much classroom space taken up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 pm 

mcsteve wrote:
At the moment, I don't see this happening anymore, at least not for the time being. Most of the equipment has been moved to the member storage shelves, and the public audio setup reduced to a much simpler configuration. Without seeing any progress being made over the last couple of month, I couldn't justify having so much classroom space taken up.

Alright...well I guess I'll start figuring out a plan for moving the equipment out of the hackfactory then if it's not going to be used. I'm a bit disappointed that the equipment isn't being used more, but I can't say that I wasn't warned by some of the other members.

Not sure what you had in mind for "progress" considering everything is there and in place, you just have to turn things on and plug the sound into where you want it to go. No one ever communicated to me at any point about progress they would like to see, as far as I'm concerned the equipment has been ready to use, but few if anyone cares to use it or is competent enough to use it. Some classes would probably help with the competency bit, but even then I'm not sure if it would create a justifiable increase in usage. That being said, I think dismantling the project might be the best thing to do if the onus of the project is to be solely on me and the usage is to be as little as it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:41 am 

There's actually been a lot of communication about needed progress for that pile of gear.

Like, a LOT.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:55 pm 

Orkraider wrote:
There's actually been a lot of communication about needed progress for that pile of gear.

Like, a LOT.

Like what, like when, like communication to me? NO, I think not. You do know that I was talking about communication to me right?
I've repeatedly told people how to contact me so I know that's not an excuse: [email protected]
This post explains nothing and you still haven't contributed to defining the incredibly vague "progress"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:55 pm 

As far as I can tell, you haven't been in the space in quite a long time, and it appeared that you had abandoned this project. It is unfortunate that you weren't contacted, and I'll take responsibility for that. I had forgotten about this thread until it was raised again recently. I've been waiting for someone on the board to send me your contact information. I apologize for the communication failure.

Let me explain why I say there hasn't been "progress." I haven't seen you in the space, and it seemed like much of the equipment you brought in was still just piled on the table and disconnected. It did not appear that any effort was being made to create a complete, functional, system.

As you say, all of the gear was there and available for people to use. However, no one has been using it. That is the key issue as far as I am concerned. I have a responsibility to keep the classroom as tidy as possible, and available for classes. Having an entire table taken up by equipment that no one was using was not serving that goal. The other concern that was brought up to me was that our public audio system was too complicated for some people to use. This problem actually pre-dates the arrival of your equipment, a 24-channel mixer has always been overkill for our modest needs. To that end, we moved your equipment to the member's storage areas and reconfigured the public audio system to be simpler for everyone to use.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:24 pm 

Hey man, there have indeed been many conversations and Communication about that audio gear over the course of the last 3.5 months.

I'm sorry if you weren't there for any of it, I personally haven't seen you since just after the stuff got moved from the basement into the classroom.

It's awesome that you gave out your email address, sadly, I sure didn't have it.

Looking back over the threads from september, I think we as a group were expecting a smaller collection of gear that would fit on a rack, and be useful.

Instead, we got a large pile of gear, an arrangement that wasn't usable for what we needed it for, and one of our classroom tables swapped out for what used to be in that corner.

I don't think that you can say we didn't give this gear a fair chance at trying out that spot, after 3 and a half months.

cheers.

Riley