Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Car Hacking Fun...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:53 pm 

Has anyone played with any car hacking? The wiring on my Camry is in need of love. I figure if I have to mess with it, I should 'upgrade' things a bit. Ideally, something simple like a bluetooth based board for locks and ignition is the way I'm leaning. I'm guessing the stock response is Arduino, but this is Minnesota, and I part outside. Can the chips handle that kind of temperature range?

Has anyone else played with this already?

Post subject: Re: Car Hacking Fun...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

I does come down to how bad is it if it does not work. Normal car wiring is very touchy, one wire can control 17 things or 17 wires to control one thing depending on the demented engineer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:26 pm 

I'm more at the platform stage at this point. Arduio with a BT shield seems the easy answer. As for the car interface, there is one button on the door to lock/unlock the car and I'm guessing the ignition is one relay as well. Little need to manage the heat/AC from remote at present. The main issue would be what does the board do at -40F or 110F, is there something else that is made more for that, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:22 pm 
Global Moderator

Not that I have tried it, but first I think your 110 F should be 150 F to be safe, I will guess this is going in to the cabin of the car.

Second the relay for starting is a bit more than one switch, unless you plan to leave the key in place and it in the ready state.

Also you could set up a proximity sensor and have a LED or Buzzer go off when somebody walks buy your car. Or if you go bluetooth you could just have a LED that lights up when another device is in range. (of course this would constantly go off, so...)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:12 am 

I've done quite a bit of research on carputers, but not much on the wiring or anything with remote start or unlocking doors. The temperature range you require would necessitate the "industrial" grade chips, which I'm sure Atmel makes. If you take the Arduino board approach, it is simple enough to purchase a drop-in the replacement chip and put the Arduino bootloader on it, but you still need to worry about the other components on the board. I'd suggest performing some environmental tests in which I would gladly help out with.

The carputer stuff I'm wanting to do in my own car is to have a built-in 7"-10" touchscreen running android that integrates with the OBD-II and stereo systems. The stereo wiring harness costs 150$ for my '05 Accord but I'm probably going to create my own. For the OBD-II communications, you can buy a device from scantool.net for about 80$-150$ but I've been wanting to roll my own either by snatching the ELM327 firmware and programming my own PIC for far less $$$. The ELM chips can be bought separately from http://elmelectronics.com/obdic.html for 32.50$. The OBD-II interface can modify engine performance as well as report many of the sensors for logging, analysis, etc.

Bluetooth: do you just want to do locking/unlocking and remote start? I'm sure you can find "open source" plans of rolling your own device to integrate with this functionality in the car. Once the method is actualized, it's simple enough to implement in the Arduino. It would be cool to use your phone to implement this functionality and to also provide speakerphone and navigation capabilities. Also, if you've not seen it yet, I'm creating an Arduino+Bluetooth guide on the wiki with the plans of becoming a precursor to an Android+Bluetooth+Arduino "SCADA" project. Incomplete wiki page: http://www.tcmaker.org/wiki/doku.php?id ... th_project .

I've also recently acquired the Cobra iRadar 105 which is a Bluetooth radar detector that pairs with the Android (model 100 for iPhone) and allows configuration, reporting, etc. through the "iRadar" app (free on Market). I've been meaning to reverse the protocol between devices to roll my own app that shares in real-time the presence of radar hot spots with other phones; it would be something like trapster but without having to interact with the phone. The part I'm currently hung up on is implementing a speed limit database in the app for better intelligence.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 am 

Does anybody have any experience sniffing CANbus?

-Jim Hart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:50 am 

Not experience, but I have pretty in-depth knowledge on CAN and how to implement it on a PIC18F and a CAN transceiver. I can send you documentation or help you build a CAN Sniffer. I believe the saelae logic has CAN decoding... There are also open source hard- and soft- ware that will decode CAN like the bitwhacker and bus pirate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:14 am 

Very cool!

I've always wanted to learn more about this stuff. I'm coming at it from a "grease under the fingernails" perspective, rather than a "breadboard and oscilloscope" perspective.

One of my favorite things about owning a Volkswagen is the VAG-COM software, which allows you to read and set parameters in every controller on the vehicle.

Does your knowledge of CAN come from using it in industrial automation?

-Jim Hart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 am 

I had a potential job that required reverse engineering some PIC and ARM systems involving CAN in an industrial setting so I researched the hell out of it. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job, but I came out of it understanding CAN pretty well. I can't rattle the specs off the top of my head, but I can get a prototype running in about a day.

B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:40 am 
Site Admin

I wanted to do something with my Buick. How cool would it be to have a unit in your car and a base station at home that automatically track your trip miles, reminds you of oil changes, etc. Put in a touch screen or simple number pad and you could quickly enter your gas fill-ups to track the mileage.

Car hacking sounds fun!