Site Logo

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Security
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:55 am 
Global Moderator

That side door still has it's uses for the general membership.

Do we want all material dragged through the lounge? If we have a meeting going, all traffic again walks through there.

Now we will see what is addressed tonight, but I think if we just pick up after ourselves, and lock up when we leave.. This would have been a non-issue.

Now the gate could do with a better locking system, but I think that would be not just us, but all tenants as well.

(Also if I recall correctly, the other gates are also left open too, but that is another issue)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:25 am 

I thought most materials where moved through the dock door anyway. I think the bigger issue here is that if the Hack Factory property gets destroyed because of carelessness, that's one thing. If other folks stuff (as in this case) is getting ripped off, that is another matter entirely. I think there is just to much access and no accountability for that access, which tends to lead to carelessness. If you are the last person in the logs to access the door and you get the short straw for it being open, there is a little more incentive to close/lock it. If its a code that anyone and their cousin can know, and open, with no repercussions of not closing... you have where we find ourselves today.

Maybe the solution is to put some form of lock on the gate that is wired to the badges... best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:04 am 
Site Admin

I would be more inclined to keep the gate closed and locked unless there is specific need to open it. As for the trash it is EVERYONE'S responsibility to keep our space tidy and useful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:50 pm 

Agreed we should all be responsible enough to maintain security, locking the gate and ensuring all doors are secure if you're the last one out just makes sense (but then again, so does cleaning up after yourself and putting tools away when you're done for the day - but after seeing the woodworking area yesterday...)

Whether the gate is locked or not, the gate that is never locked (nor is our responsibility) is the one on S. 31st Ave. - does this mean that whether the gate is locked or not (it's our responsibility to lock it - I've no argument for that), we're to blame?

What evidence does Jepsen have that the thieves used the E. 26th St entrance?

If the gate was locked and some of Jepsen's stuff wound up missing would we be to blame?

I'm just playing devils advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:10 pm 

Imo leave it the way it is. If we install an electronic locking mechinism that is tied with the badges then it could be a problem if an emergency happens and the fire crew needs to get in. Unless you get a really good design. If you lock it and hide the key then if someone needs to go to the side door for what ever reason they are locked in the fence area. I can honestly see that happening too. Get out side only to find out the gate is locked and the door is closed behind you. (hope you brought your fobe) I honestly think...and feel free to shoot me down on this...but why can't we just set the combos on the gate to the access code?

happy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:13 pm 

I don't know that you could unlock the gate from the inside if you tried as is. An electronic gate could be programmed to do exactly as you would expect and open if there was an emergency. I believe, as was stated before, that that is also not the only way out of that area.

Plus, much like passwords, making everything the same is generally a Bad Idea(TM) I would vote, if we are doing a new system just the opposite. If there is a second level to disarm the alarm after entry on the new system, each person should have their own pin to activate/deactivate the alarm, using the card/code combo to be unique (you unlock it, you disarm it). As is, if someone was a member, and was 'removed' for any reason, they would still have a lot of access.