Security

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
sparkhut

Security

Postby sparkhut » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:38 am

Arrived at HF today to find police at Jepsen next door. Our gate was left unlocked and thieves came in over the weekend (last night?) and stole some I-beams.

Also, garage door left unlocked.
PLUTO - NEVER FORGET

Booka
Global Moderator

Re: Security

Postby Booka » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:11 pm

The last two times I stopped at the HF the lounge door was ajar as well, now both times there were people in the project spaces, but just as a reminder, that door does not always close itself securely.

sparkhut

Postby sparkhut » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Jepsen will probably stop by for the Wed meeting. Apparently the leaseholder/landlord is pretty pissed as well since it's supposed to be secured when no one is here. They are also irritated about fireworks being shot off from their beams, all the trash & bottles, and stuff being left out like it's a frat house.
PLUTO - NEVER FORGET

DanBackslide

Postby DanBackslide » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:00 pm

That side gate is a real pain in the backside -- the chain and lockbox are cumbersome at best, nonfunctional at worst (they're very often frozen up during the winter). Now that we have the front door I don't see much of a reason to open the gate, except for the occasional dropoff of materials.

Plus, here's another case of "clean up after yourselves."
73 de KC0DZY

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 pm

This definitely sounds like serious business. We really need to be respectful of our neighbors property.

How much of that space between the buildings is ours anyway?

metis

Postby metis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 pm

this is all kinds of not good.

the larger winter appropriate (in theory) combination lock there is the same combo, and much easier to secure the gate with using the padlock point instead of the chain.

we have (2) parking spaces behind the fence provided that we do not block the "firelane" between the two buildings. in use of those, we are not to block any of jepsen's materials from access at any time. (they do 24hr emergency rigging, and may need it)

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Do we really need access to the gate anymore?

Keyholders can enter through the front door, and we can access the loading dock door / garage door just fine.

Maybe Jensen can open the gate when they arrive, and close it when they leave, i.e. take responsibility for it like they do the other ones?

Also, do we need to find out who keyed out last on Sunday, or what?

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 pm

In any case we need to get the front door fixed so it closes properly.

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:31 pm

The word on the street is (second hand and I haven't confirmed it) is that some people tried to savage it and got busted, as someone noticed the name on the Ibeams and called them or the cops or both.

cgallaty

Postby cgallaty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 pm

It strikes me that with the advent of the front door being ours that maybe access to that gate should not be something that every member gets. Why not just limit who has the combo so it can be opened as needed (perhaps on Wed nights) and closed otherwise. I've thought many times that building a real simple wooden staircase for the dock would remove the need to open the gate all together.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

Return to “General Discussion”