Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for Help

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
User avatar
Orkraider
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 am
Location: downtown Saint Paul

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby Orkraider » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Wayne, I saw your sign up sheets, I noticed that someone filled in a name that I suspect isn't real; I meant to take that one down last night and discard it, but I spazzed it, I hope someone else will do so. It's the one by the yellow door.

Put me down for showing up with siege engines.

I'm sorry I haven't said so earlier, I was 100% certain I had something going on that day, but I can't recall, so now, whatever it was, get's bumped.

noon to 5, yeah? Hopefully someone will be able to give me and some siege engines a ride?

who's with me?

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby wammie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Orkraider wrote:Wayne, I saw your sign up sheets, I noticed that someone filled in a name that I suspect isn't real; I meant to take that one down last night and discard it, but I spazzed it, I hope someone else will do so. It's the one by the yellow door.

Put me down for showing up with siege engines.

I'm sorry I haven't said so earlier, I was 100% certain I had something going on that day, but I can't recall, so now, whatever it was, get's bumped.

noon to 5, yeah? Hopefully someone will be able to give me and some siege engines a ride?

who's with me?

Riley
Awesome! I'm at the King's Fair meeting now, and the PR person wants to interview some of us in a short video. Would you be interested?

User avatar
Orkraider
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 am
Location: downtown Saint Paul

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby Orkraider » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:17 pm

I'm interested, I'll do anything to get in front of a camera.

Let me know, wed. night (2morrow) works for me, as I'll be at the space.

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby wammie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Anyone with more ideas for a participatory activity? Do we still have the student breadboards so we can do something with the 10x demo board?

User avatar
smittex
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby smittex » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:57 pm

If you're talking about breadboards on some kind of corrugated plastic with 9v batteries, they're on the wall parallel with the door of the classroom, approximately to the right of the electronic component desk.

I think it would be neat if we had some ham radio stuff there -- something visual, like the HF waterfall on a computer screen while radio communication can be heard. Or maybe a yagi communicating with a satellite or ISS.

And fire would be great too! Maybe a demonstration of Potassium Chlorate and a Gummy Bear? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txkRCIPSsjM I think I remember someone mentioning they had a standing wave propane tube... Those always attract a lot of attention.

The Liquid Nitrogen ice cream would be pretty cool as well.

Ferromagnetic liquid demonstrations.

A cheap nerdy or science toy would be great to give out. Micro marshmallow shooter? Silly putty? Pet rocks? lol, writers block...

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby wammie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 pm

smittex wrote:If you're talking about breadboards on some kind of corrugated plastic with 9v batteries, they're on the wall parallel with the door of the classroom, approximately to the right of the electronic component desk.

I think it would be neat if we had some ham radio stuff there -- something visual, like the HF waterfall on a computer screen while radio communication can be heard. Or maybe a yagi communicating with a satellite or ISS.

And fire would be great too! Maybe a demonstration of Potassium Chlorate and a Gummy Bear? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txkRCIPSsjM I think I remember someone mentioning they had a standing wave propane tube... Those always attract a lot of attention.

The Liquid Nitrogen ice cream would be pretty cool as well.

Ferromagnetic liquid demonstrations.

A cheap nerdy or science toy would be great to give out. Micro marshmallow shooter? Silly putty? Pet rocks? lol, writers block...
Good suggestions, but remember that we'll likely not have AC power. I'm at the Hack Factory now and though you describe the boards I"m looking for, I can't find them from your location description.

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby wammie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:50 am

OK, things are shaping up some. Jim W. will be able to help with the Operation game and Riley can attend to the mini trebuchet at King's Fair. Thanks guys!

Anyone else want to volunteer to help man our table and displays?

Wed. night at open house I want to start getting our materials together. Karin had pointed out to me an exhibitor's tri-panel display with black felt or fabric cover. Can we use that? We'll also need a table.

We can also return to the H.F. on Thurs. and/or Fri. to get things ready if necessary.

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

King's Fair Article on Twin Cities Daily Planet

Postby wammie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Hey, the promo person for King's Fair has posted an article on the TC Daily Planet website about King's Fair, including a video about the history and mention of TC Maker. Take a look!

Click the picture for the article.

Image

User avatar
Orkraider
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 am
Location: downtown Saint Paul

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby Orkraider » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:32 pm

what time are we all meeting up at the space?

Is anyone passing near, by, or through downtown saint paul on their way to the space?

I ask as, I'm looking to hitch a ride.

Let me know, I'm stoked!

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

User avatar
wammie
Site Admin
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Seward Neighborhood Kings Fair, Sept. 17: Looking for He

Postby wammie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Orkraider wrote:what time are we all meeting up at the space?

Is anyone passing near, by, or through downtown saint paul on their way to the space?

I ask as, I'm looking to hitch a ride.

Let me know, I'm stoked!

Riley
Sometime before ten, we'll need to help load up and transport the "wire monster" sculpture to the park, if they say it's alright to bring it. I'm hoping to get over to the H.F. for a bit yet this evening and start putting together the display. I'd like to be able to print out some pictures for the tri-panel board. I think our meetup time on Sat. would depend on how far we get with preparations before then.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

cron