Site Logo

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Borrow the Makerbot?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:18 pm 

I have a fair amount of pieces I want to print on the Makerbot over the next two weeks. I bought a spool of black ABS and also clear PLA. (The PLA works great and looks awesome, more on that later.)

Is there any way I could borrow the Makerbot for a day or two? I know we want to keep tools at the shop to get people there, but who would I ask about this, as the tool is "space owned"? I could donate some plastic or something.

Post subject: Re: Borrow the Makerbot?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Adam, interesting question... I'd sure like to say yes, but it might set a precedent that we'd not want to follow. An extremely unlikely but troublesome situation to consider is if we'd say yes to your request, then someone asks for two days to borrow immediately after you, and then another person asks the same, they have an argument that they should be allowed to do so, and then the machine will be out of the shop for almost a week without others being to use it.

I don't think that we have an established policy on this yet though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am 

My feeling is that not doing good or helpful stuff (like loaning a tool) because there could be problems later, is not the appropriate attitude for an organization like TCM. No problems of the sort wammie anticipates have occurred thus far (have they?); this suggests to me that the danger of them occurring later is minimal. Should they occur later, they can be dealt with at that time.

This issue seems especially salient since Adam had recently offered to semi-permanently lend TCM an expensive tool he bought himself, motivated simply by the spirit of generosity. If this spirit is stifled by prospective worrying we'll have lost something important, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:20 am 

you can use the abp. Just generate your g-code with the cupcake-abp setting, then copy the g-code into a txt file. Keep doing this with all your models. When you are ready to print just paste it back into the g-code tab. Iv'e done back to back prints so I know that it works. I found that if you are moving or scaling the model you need to save it as something else before you generate the g-code.

adam

Also selecting the raft option isn't a bad idea if the model is reasonably small. Just remember that the raft is going to be harder to take off as it will be fused with the model.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:47 am 

shanusmagnus wrote:
My feeling is that not doing good or helpful stuff (like loaning a tool) because there could be problems later, is not the appropriate attitude for an organization like TCM. No problems of the sort wammie anticipates have occurred thus far (have they?); this suggests to me that the danger of them occurring later is minimal. Should they occur later, they can be dealt with at that time.

There haven't been any problems so far, because (AFAIK) we haven't had anyone take a shop-owned tool out yet. And I do think that it will become a problem if we start allowing the major tools to be checked out, unless we have a decent system in place (how to track who's got what, how long do they get it, how often can an item be out per unit time, how to handle damage/loss/theft).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 pm 

The fact that nobody has ever (until now) requested that a tool be loaned out to them suggests to me that the demand for it is not high; which suggests, in turn, that the problems described earlier in the thread would also be rare. I agree that having some rough policy in place would be a good idea, but is TCM not the organization whose central axiom is "Be excellent to each other?" Obviously that's not a super precise set of bylaws, which one might take as a deficiency, but which I think is a strength: values-based guidelines are more workable in a complex environment.

Anyway, until the time when that policy exists, I vote to let Adam grab the Makerbot for a couple of days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:08 pm 

Would someone want/be able to to "inspect" it before and then after? Would a $50 damage deposit help?

Also, if this isn't something the group wants to do, I'm not going to push it. It isn't a hot button topic at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:53 pm 
Global Moderator

I think as a whole tool loans and such is a process that needs more infrastructure than we have presently, but on a case by case basis could be done.

In this case the tool is small and portable, and with care should not suffer from moving. But which tools can be borrowed, that is something we should look at, and I will guess is a case by case type thing too.

(I can see if we have something like a Tile Saw, it would make sense to let this be loaned out for same day returns, but things like the Radial Arm saw not so much.)

Either way, my opinion is this particular tool would be ok for short term loans, as long as we have a way to communicate to the members that it is not at the shop in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Personally I agree that loaning equipment temporarily is something we should be able to do, and gladly, though we should give all members a reasonable forewarning period to speak up if it would cause interference with their workshop plans. The key words here are "all members."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 am 

I like the idea of having a "tool library", but we're not set up for that, at all.

There are a lot of things we only have one of, taking something like that out of the shop means no one else gets to use it.

I'd like to say yes, especially in this case, but it sounds like a really bad idea overall.

Riley