Site Logo

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: we want to build 8 computers for classes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 pm 

I could really use a second lcd display, if you find one I could buy for myself for $5, I'd pony up $10 more for 2 more for the space.

If that sounds too greedy, disregard.

Riley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 pm 

I think it would be a cool idea to make the classroom computers part of a computing cluster, of course, when they're not being used for teaching, surfing, etc.

We could generate Rainbow tables or donate the computing power to projects like SETI@home or Folding@home which benefit the scientific community. Of course, GPU's or PS3's would be better suited for this task, but if the costs (power, time) vs. benefits (recognition, philanthropy) is right, it may be something cool to play with, learn from, etc.

-b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:38 pm 

oooh, we could also set up a render farm!

Riley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

smittex wrote:
I think it would be a cool idea to make the classroom computers part of a computing cluster, of course, when they're not being used for teaching, surfing, etc.

We could generate Rainbow tables or donate the computing power to projects like SETI@home or Folding@home which benefit the scientific community. Of course, GPU's or PS3's would be better suited for this task, but if the costs (power, time) vs. benefits (recognition, philanthropy) is right, it may be something cool to play with, learn from, etc.

-b
Note that TC Maker already has a World Community Grid team (link also in my sig). I've been participating in WCG full time since the first day. The WCG community often has competitive challenges; I don't know if there have been any solely for hacker spaces.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:01 am 
Global Moderator

Just a quick update on the LCD supply from FreeGeek Twin Cities.

I am trying to serve the needs of each group, and I did very well for FreeGeek, but no as well for the HF.

I was able to get the majority of the monitors that were missing power supplies matched up with working solutions, so they are now for sale in the FreeGeek Thrift store.

But that leaves few for the $5 price we were offered, I have one more day this week to try to get the last group of 8 monitors set up with power, and I think I will get most of them working (Sorry)

But the group that is left I will pick up to for us. Now there are not many large monitors left, but they do have a glut of working 15 inch monitors right now going for as little as $30. (I know, you can buy a 17 inch generic for $45 at Microcenter)

The thrift store also has some drives, and I saw that somebody had listed what was needed for drives on the computers in the classroom.

They sell the drives for $ .10 a gig, so PATA drives can be $4.00 for a 40gb drive.

Sata drives do not often come in that low size, and we had a couple 200gbish drives in the store, but $20 for a used drive, when new SATA go for $40 at Microcenter is again not that great a bargain.

Booka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Booka, thanks for your efforts on this. It is much appreciated! I'm still looking for a free/cheap/rescued SATA drive, any size, for a family member's computer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:09 pm 
Global Moderator

I brought a 17 and 19 inch Dell LCD over today, the 19 lights up, and dies a few seconds later, the 17 they say does not work at all.

Any Electronic person who can diagnose and repair these for the classroom, it would be appreciated, otherwise I will bring them back to be recycled.

I still have a few "should be working" screens to check, and those with out power solutions are ones that I will pick up, but the stock that is left is mostly 15" displays.

I also am looking at the FreeGeek stock to pick up a couple inexpensive SATA drives for those machines in the classroom that have been gone through.

The Broken LCD's are in the Lounge Area, next to the Ham Radio. I will pull them out if nobody has said they will check them out in the next 10 days.

Booka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:11 pm 

do we need any crt displays at this point?

I don't want to go back to being the crt graveyard, but I do come across them from time to time.

Someone with an opinion let me know.

And thanks, Booka, you rock.

Riley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:35 am 
Site Admin

if we need crts free geek gets them on what seems like a regular basis, and they have some deal work out on how to dispose of them too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:41 am 
Global Moderator

Actually FreeGeek pays to dispose of CRT's, but they get them to a recycler, not a scrap yard or individual that harvests the copper bundle and puts the rest in the trash.

Last time FreeGeek brought CRT's in, it was close to a $20 per unit cost. The City of Minneapolis has it's disposal / recycle system for residents, but often the monitor is picked up by scrappers and the majority end up in a landfill. :)

Buy yes, FreeGeek has a bunch of CRT's, they also have a bunch of 15" LCD's that I am sure we can work out a deal for if we are just looking for basic displays.
In fact right now you could say they have an excess of 15" LCDs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next