Site Logo

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: we want to build 8 computers for classes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:23 am 

I have that stack of mother boards that I brought, they are sans heat sinks, but all seem to post, and have a gig of RAM. There where also a number of keyboards donated. There is also no shortage of CDROM drives.

I think the hardest part is going to be the screens. If we relax the notion of using CRTs we can likely get a number of high quality screens in short order. I would recommend 'settling' for CRTs with the idea of swapping them out as we can find older LCD units. That being said, I have an LCD at the space that seems to work (looks like it was the victim of a bad power supply)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 am 
Site Admin

cgallaty wrote:
I have that stack of mother boards that I brought, they are sans heat sinks, but all seem to post, and have a gig of RAM. There where also a number of keyboards donated. There is also no shortage of CDROM drives.

I think the hardest part is going to be the screens. If we relax the notion of using CRTs we can likely get a number of high quality screens in short order. I would recommend 'settling' for CRTs with the idea of swapping them out as we can find older LCD units. That being said, I have an LCD at the space that seems to work (looks like it was the victim of a bad power supply)
Awesome! Also we're looking for cases wtih working power supplies. I don't know about bringing in CRTs yet; we have had a policy of not taking them in, at least until we've cleared a bunch of other junk and have a place to store them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:50 am 

The other spin on this was something we chatted about when I brought the mobo's in. The idea (much cooler from a maker bent) was to take the whole stack of motherboards and build a cluster on them, then run something that could throw VMs off this to lesser hardware. I have a mess of older Toshiba Satellites that can likely fill this roll. (and for sure be enough for a full time MakerBot term or the like. This would let us be more flexible on the power of the devices, but does not lend itself to certain applications.

One thing I will say is that its getting harder and harder to hack on new machines. Serial ports are going the way of the dodo, but still very useful and while there are USB to serial adapters, they are not usually powered, (I have a 3 track credit card reader that will not work off anything without powered serial, etc) There is something to be said about having some older laptops, etc around for hacks like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:58 pm 
Global Moderator

While I agree free is best, the disposal on CRT's and the lack of a future for them makes me say no to Bulk..

Right now on CL there are 4 15" LCD's listed at $50 or less, and FreeGeek Twin Cites has a shelf full of LCD at that price too.

Or if we buy in bulk and build our own stand, we can source 19" OEM for about 65 each at 10 units. ( I will get a quote if we think that we can raise the $650, but really I know that this will be a one at a time thing.)

With the prices dropping again this year on monitors and TV's in the forecast, I suspect that as we piece a system together, we can find a Monitor or work as a group to dig up the price of buying one as a system is ready to run.

Ok it has been a couple months since I looked at LCD's, and found six on the bargain pages below 70, mostly 19" and down, but with that the case, we should skip the CRT's.

I will have a talk with the FreeGeek guys and see if they want to rethink their prices or do a bulk deal too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:22 pm 

This might sound way crazy but let's put the computers in the classroom where we can potentially teach computer classes...like the one being held July 19th from 7 to 10 in the classroom....hint hint. :D Who wants to be in charge of this project and what is the possibility to get it done before that class?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:02 pm 
Global Moderator

Ok, The folks at FreeGeek Twin Cities are going to liquidate several LCD displays (15, to 19) that do not have power bricks for $5 each.

They will refund or replace non-working units, and we have first chance at these as they will start sorting these next week.

As they sort them (at freegeek) I can tag a few (say up to 8) if we want to commit to them. I do not have the cash to buy them myself, but we can get first dibs if we can or want to buy these.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Booka wrote:
Ok, The folks at FreeGeek Twin Cities are going to liquidate several LCD displays (15, to 19) that do not have power bricks for $5 each.

They will refund or replace non-working units, and we have first chance at these as they will start sorting these next week.

As they sort them (at freegeek) I can tag a few (say up to 8) if we want to commit to them. I do not have the cash to buy them myself, but we can get first dibs if we can or want to buy these.
Sounds good to me, but d'ya happen to know if these are the same type or just misc. displays? What kind of power brick is needed? Don't most LCDs just need a regular PC-type power cord?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

I dropped something off last week an older dell, w/o HDD.
It was in the classroom last week no idea where it went, but I put a not on the top of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:36 pm 

Most just have the 3 prong insert, but if these don't, its not a big deal. Its simple to make power supplies. Ill throw 20 at em if the space doesn't pay for em. I've also got a comp I've been meaning to bring by, but have just been lazy.

edit 2011/07/21: took off stupid automated signature.

Last edited by smittex on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 pm 
Global Moderator

The easy LCD's with built in bricks are not in this lot, and once I pick out a couple of the better ones I will look through the brick yard (box O Bricks) to see if they missed it, but so much gets recycled that many of them will need new sources. I will try to pick out 4 of the best to start, meaning 19 or greater display, something that looks clean, etc. The Store guy there will also be locating several teaser PC's (1.7 P4's or better) that have cosmetic needs (missing bezel, optical drive is not the right one) these will all work, just cosmetically they would be out of place. The talk is $10 each for those, and I was told I could jump at those too (maybe not all of em, but a couple) so I will look for any 64 bit machines that can work here too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next