Site Logo

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Power at the Factory
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:45 pm 

The Trol-E-Duct system is described starting on page 80 of this document:

http://www.legacypower.net/Documents/Tr ... ystems.pdf

It might also be BD Busway, which is described on page 76.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:52 pm 

How are the new fixtures in that room wired? I.E. The overhead lights? Do they connect to a box on the bus bar? Or are they fed from elsewhere?

--James

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm 

My thoughts are that most of that track is in terrible shape anyway, and if we can't find new taps for it, we're going to have to do something different. Assuming those tracks are fed with sufficient amperage, we might just have to get an electrician to disconnect a section of track, and use the feed to it to power a new panel with a couple receptacle circuits. If we can get an electrician to donate the time, the material shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:41 pm 

Is there such thing as an certified electrician with extra time? I'll start putting feelers out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:23 pm 

There's a gentleman who's a master electrician, who has done some wiring for us in the past and been investigating the new space as well. I believe he comes to us by way of George the welder.

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:15 pm 

This is just an guess but from the picture and the sample Jude showed me the other day, I would say that the 120 V power strip is a auxiliary power system designed to complement the Trol-E-Duct system, which seems to be an integrated material handling and power distributing system. As far as I know 120 VAC is the maximum used in control switches. So if you have a crane running on 480 VAC you would use an auxiliary 120 VAC as control power for the 480 VAC via a contactor. From what I have seen we do not have the actual Trol-E-Duct system installed. Why it was used as a stand alone system at the shop is anyone’s guess, it may just have been marketed under that brand. The actual 3 phase bus looks to be BD Busway system judging by the breaker operator I saw at the bus plugs. Has anyone actually looked inside to see whether it is a 3 conductor or 4 conductor system?

I see three options. One, we luck out and find a supply of the adapters for the Trol-E-Duct system. Two, we run a separate 120 VAC system from an existing panel. Three, we use the BD Busway system and step down the voltage with either a standalone transformer off a bus plug or with a transformer bus plug designed for the BD Busway system.

Another issue is safety, from what I remember the Trol-E-Duct adapters have just one conductor contact on top, which would mean they use the outer steel surface of the strip and the support taps of the adapter as the neutral/ground. From the material condition of our sample I would say that these things may not be worth the trouble. Honestly, I wouldn’t even try to plug ours in with out putting a steel brush to the tabs and rail.

Anyone know where the law stands on installation for non residential wiring? At my last job I ran conduit and wire for backup diesel generators and I am not a certified electrician. As far as I know the electrician just did the final on-site hook ups and inspected my work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:17 pm 

The Black Bus Bar running down the centers is a 330 feed that we do have boxes for. Unfortunately it does not have a common so tapping 110 off it is not a possibility.

The 110 power is not a troll-e system.

The current plan of attack is:
To scavenge as many of the boxes for the track we can. It looks like five 15 amp boxes.
To convert as many of the tools to 220 as we can (table saw, Vacuum for example)
To run any other power through conduit from the breaker box.
To in general clean up the some of the mess in the ceiling.

In answer to some of the above. I doubt that the management company really wants inspectors coming thru. But they do want to know that we know what the heck we are doing. We will run the conduit and wires and have Brad check out everything before we hook anything up.

In addition this is both a short and long term issue. We will do as much as we can as soon as we can to facilitate the wood shop move. But this will probably go on as long as we are in the space as different equipment flows in and out.

There is money set aside so we are starting the process.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:11 pm 

Update:

We have begun running the power to wood area. So far we have dropped 2 240v circuits and 3 120v circuits. That is enough to start. Waiting now for some plugging to convert the table saw, the vacuum, the joiners, the radial arm and the Band saw to 240v. This will free up the 120v for general use.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:38 pm 

Just for clarification, do we actually have 240v or is it 208v? I couldn't make heads or tails of the wiring but it looked like the panels in the electrical room were 120/208 fed from the adjacent transformer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:26 pm 

Steve it is coming out at about 225V. We are pulling directly from the Busbar.