Siege Engine and Cherry (aka spoonapult)

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
idris_arslanian

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby idris_arslanian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:47 am

What if we were to combine something integral to the Twin Cities w/ something indicative of what we, as makers, do?

I'm thinking a Spoonbridge catapult w/ #TCMakers underneath.

We could draw it like a blueprint, have a 3D model version, it could be colored or in B&W, so we could switch it up, or modernize it if needed, and it would look good on a t-shirt. It would incorporate who we are w/ where we are. I'm having a friend sketch something up.

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 am

Haha, love it!
Make it happen.

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:15 am

Would there be a rights issue w/ Sb&C?

Theo

Postby Theo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:13 am

Maybe, but probably not; what you're describing is obviously a derivative work, multiple iterations deep--one for the photo of the sculpture, another for the 3D rendering & catapult design revision, possibly even another for the further processing & printing. I'd be much more concerned about using letters from real companies' logos.

If it turns out that Claes Oldenburg and/or the Walker have a legitimate claim on designs based on the sculpture (such as your "Siege Engine & Cherry"), and decide to make an issue out of its use because we're making obscene fortunes off our T-shirt sales (hah!) then we can probably afford to stop using it and come up with another design. Mpls. skyline assembled out of capacitors, transformers, tools, scopes, etc... we won't have any shortage of possible ideas.

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:09 am

If it becomes too contentious, I agree, we can easily replace it. I was thinking the same thing about the capacitor skyline. I was also seeing the Grain Belt sign on a circuitboard. There are a bunch of things we can do. All of them very Twin City-ish and makerish and cool.

metis

Postby metis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:16 pm

i like the skyline idea, although if we're "twincities", should we just do mpls or stp?

a spoon trebuchet with a cherry i suspect would be derivative enough that we'd be in the clear, especially if we're using an illustration there of instead of photograph. it's also a nationally recognized symbol of the twin cities. use the bowl end as the counterweight side, and the cherry sitting in the track about to go airborne?

i'm still for a dynamic spelling of "tcmaker" in pics of our projects as a banner style logo though. it'd constantly be "fresh" and would really give members an ongoing sense of ownership in the group.

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:08 pm

:twisted: This was just too much fun.

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 pm

nice.
Make it happen.

hootenanny