Laser Cutter

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
smittex

Re: Laser Cutter

Postby smittex » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:49 am

I think the laser cutter at Dallas Makerspace was about 1200 and I never heard of any issues with the temperatures, but the owner was a cnc master. Ill see where he got it. It used a 40 Watt laser from China.

I'm willing to throw a big chunk of change at it once I get a job.

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Re: Laser Cutter

Postby paulsobczak » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:32 pm

One of the guys from pumping station one was over not so long ago and he mentioned that they took out a bank loan for a used epilog. It costs the 150 a month. It seem like these cheaper ones are pretty decent these days, I have seen some pretty impressive things come out of them and would be interested to helping financially to purchase one.

One way we could do it, is get a few people to front the upfront cost, and then charge on the back end for each use, I think this would work.

But at the same time there is a lot of want based on that survey for a decent laser tool. We need about 90 members to break even and start operating in the black, so it doesn't seem that far away, but it would take a long time to make up the funds and the board would need to aprove of the process, and I am not sure what their priorities are with infrastructure and all of that.

BTW congrats on the new position adam.

Return to “General Discussion”