Site Logo

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Proposal - let's make the classroom more hacker-friendly
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 pm 

mcsteve wrote:
As far as the cyberoptics CNC/potential-laser-cutter-thing goes, that project definitely stalled a bit. I'd still like to try and work on it, but it's sort of packed full of boxes and crap right now. If at least one other person is still interested in making it do something, I think it should be moved to a better working space, and I'll help get it functional. If there's not enough interest, perhaps it should simply be parted out.

I'm still interested, I'd like to go with a bigger 3D printer option, as it sounds like a laser cutter may be coming our way.

Pete

Post subject: Proposal - let's make the classroom more hacker-friendly!
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:34 am 

Metis, I'm cool with some AV gear, of course; but the huge mixer takes a lot of space for something we don't use 90% of...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:55 am 

I tell you what would work slick, is if someone made a stand and cover for the mixer, so that when it wasn't used, it'd be a table, and dustproof.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:24 am 

Orkraider,

That would be better, but the board and processing gear is tied to everything right now, so if there's any music, the board is in use, it's massive overkill and not needed, but it is in use, I think getting it out would be better. If it's a table, then it will get filled with projects, and then the board is not so usable, and a hassle to pull out when it is used.

That's my 2 cents.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 pm 

well the board is in there because it's the only place we've ever really used it. events like HMMM and cabaret need it, if we're going to have a microphone they need it. i do not disagree that it eats some table space, but a number of folks have expressed interest in audio/video recording set up, and as a home base, to be able to shoot the shop or events, it kinda makes sense.

it also makes it very easy to put music into the shop and classroom at different volumes at the same time.

one option would be to tuck the rack beneath it, and scoot it into that corner, pulling out the unused speakers there, cutting it's footprint in half, or to build the entire thing into a rolling road case with lid and doghouse (cable management that's accessible) so that it can sit under a table and be out of the way, but still provide feed to the classroom receiver, and making it much easier to move into the shop for bigger events like MMF. nesting strong boxes in the base of the case could store cables and mics and be pulled out and moved up to lift the console to a working height.

space management meeting 9ish this eve, there'll be a few things going on but we can ponder it all then. i'll have my lappy along to try to video skype, assuming that mplswifi is healthy throughout or orion gets our tubes sorted this eve as planned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:45 am 

Space management meeting -- without survey results? What ever could you talk about without knowing what the membership wants?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 am 

When I'm at the space, I'm always talking with the other people who are there using it.

Oddly, 100% of those conversations happened when you weren't there.

I sure can't explain it, some kind of statistical anomaly?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Bump and some more input...

Let's think about getting nice set of matched chairs.

And how do people feel about the tables in there? Yes, they're solid and have a high quality top, but also they're pretty big for optimizing the number of seats. One long side of each table has that horizontal metal bar that people are continually banging shins into. I suggest that a couple (or more) could be placed in the more industrial spaces. We could probably build our own classroom tables too, applying forethought to use and space optimization.

I realize these things will mean some expense, but they're things we can start considering.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:18 am 

There are a lot of ways in which those tables are great for the classroom, but it doesn't hurt to brainstorm and think about what would be Perfect, and how to get it.

One thing is for sure.. classroom tables should roll.

Riley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 am 

Tables should roll... doesn't Axe-Man have a ton of casters?

As for the mixer, there is the pod cast thing as well. Seems like more of the same. I know there is some general resistance to a permanent sound fixture in the Space, but perhaps moving all that to the office in the front (where the pod cast is going), or doing something with the large empty space in the basement is on option. There are a lot of less used nooks in the space presently, there is the (old) office next to the vending machines, etc. In front or in the basement makes more sense from a sound perspective as there is no reason you should have to compete with a saw for sound.

There is a closet in that room in front that is currently less than utilized. It would seem a good spot to stash some equipment.