Site Logo

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Ryobi Bandsaw
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:48 pm 

It would be awesome if this tool's owner, or someone familiar enough with it, would pull the wheels and give it a good cleaning. I did some work on it a couple nights ago because it seemed to be tracking badly, and the blade was riding mostly out in front of the blade guides. I vacuumed it out pretty good, found and removed a bunch of slivers of wood wedged in the upper guide, and adjusted the tracking as good as I know how. Tracking is much improved now, and it should be much less likely to throw the blade off the tires. It's still got a bit of vibration, probably from sawdust caked on the wheels, and I couldn't clean the back side of the wheels. Seems like the blade might be rubbing more than it should on at least one of the guides, too.

I'm not knowledgeable enough with the bandsaw to be comfortable removing the wheels, or making adjustments to the blade guides.

Post subject: Re: The Ryobi Bandsaw
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:23 pm 

it's tcmaker owned. (should say that on the sticker on it) realistically, that means as a yellow tool, if you know how to maintain it *correctly* you're welcome to help maintain it, but check in with jrsphoto the shop manager to keep him aware that it's maintenance has been performed.

i've done similar things to it in the past, and am reasonably certain that the tension was WAY over tightened, bringing one of the wheels out of alignment. unsure it ifs fubar, or just needing some tlc. several times i've gone to switch blades and discovered that someone put the blade in *outside* of the guides, or didn't readjust the guides. blade guides i'll show you next time we're both there, it's pretty easy.

keeping the shopvac hooked to it and sucking while you're using it is pretty important to keep dust from caking on.

Post subject: Re: The Ryobi Bandsaw
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:56 pm 

I haven't even used it in the last couple weeks, but I noticed the blade was off the wheels, which led me to cleaning it a bit. I think one of the main problems was that someone might have adjusted the tracking to try and get the blade riding in the guides properly, when the problem was actually the chunks of wood wedged behind the blade in the upper guide. I think it might be a good idea to keep a maintenance log with the tools.

I definitely agree about the need to use the shopvac with the bandsaw. It doesn't take much caked dust on the wheels to make it vibrate.