Greetings from a soon-to-be member

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
smittex

Postby smittex » Sun May 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm posting here to say hello to all of you and to tell you a little about myself. I currently live in the DFW metroplex and am about to move to Eden Prairie, MN in 3 weeks. I've been a member at the local hackerspace, Dallas Makerspace (DMS), since Janurary of this year. Honestly, DMS has become one of the loves of my life and I'm excited there is another hackerspace in MSP that I can belong to. The reason I'm moving up there is because my girlfriend will be doing her postdoc at the U of MN, so it was only natural to come along with her.

So, here's a little about myself and what I'm interested in:
  • I'm a ham radio operator (Technician class); my callsign is KE5OSR
  • I enjoy learning anything and everythying I can
  • My interests include computers (hardware & software), electronics, radio, microcontrollers, chemistry, biology, security, etc.
  • I love making stuff; wood, metal, electronic, food, alcohol, anything.....
  • If you'd like to know more, check out my DMS profile at http://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/User:Smittex

I am self-employed, but will be looking for a new job up there. It's been to hot-and-cold with the work I currently do, so I think it's a good time for a change. If any of you have an opening for, or know of, an IT, programming, database, security, or engineering position, I'd be more than grateful if you'd pass that info along to me.

Anyway, I plan on becoming a member as soon as I get situated up there. I do have a few questions for you though:
  • Do you have a laser cutter?
  • Do you have a 3D printer like the RepRap? One of my friends at DMS just finished his; I think I can get him to print some parts for me to make a 3D printer for TCM.

Best Regards,
Bryan

wammie
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from a soon-to-be member

Postby wammie » Sun May 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Welcome, Bryan!!

Glad you're going to be joining our group! Once you get into our space we'd like to hear suggestions from you; you probably have some familiarity with operations and features of your former hacker space that we can put into place here.

We have a Cupcake CNC machine, the MakerBot. We also have a couple of router-based (subtractive) CNC machines. I believe at least a couple of members are soon to get or build laser cutters to share with the group.

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Sun May 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey welcome,

It sounds like you will fit right in given your interests. We have a Maker Bot 3D printer, it's not been the most useful tool we possess it seems to need a lot of TLC to produce good parts. (but I might be biased as a CNC router guy) We do not have a laser cutter, but hope to at some point, we had a recent member survey and it was a top desire. We have a CNC inspection machine and a small (3 watt) laser, but the two have not been combined, that's an option.

On the job front, if you can give specifics I suspect you could get some leads.

We have an open house every Weds night starting at 7:00 PM come by then, or you can try dropping in when you've got the time, there's generally someone at the space. Look forward to meeting you.

Pete

metis

Postby metis » Sun May 29, 2011 2:07 pm

well, wammie and otto pretty well summed things up, and it sounds like you'll fit right in. feel free to ask anything and we'll see what we can do to answer, and please drop by an open house, ask here, or email info@ this domain to get a tour at other times when you land.

looking forward to meeting you

dm914

Postby dm914 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:37 pm

As far as the work goes, definitely stop by some Wednesday, so we can chat history/etc. Target is often hiring, and I mint be willing to throw a recommendation your way if I learn a bit more about you.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Mon May 30, 2011 2:01 am

Welcome aboard, Bryan.

It sounds like you've got a lot of skills under your belt, and that you'll be a great addition to our group.

I'm excited to get a chance to talk to someone coming from a maker space in the lone star republic.

I always try and be around Wednesdays, look me up when you get here.

If you have any questions at all, or are interested in talking about a geeked out project of some kind, let us know.

Riley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Mon May 30, 2011 8:49 am

My wife works for a recruiting startup in Eden Prairie. They've got a few tech positions open:

SEO Analyst
Software QC Engineer
Systems Engineer (Backend DB Maint, very Linux/Apache based, Cold Fusion, etc)

careers.jobs2web.com

Let me know if you need more info (This also goes for the rest of the board if there is interest)

-The DTs

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Mon May 30, 2011 7:57 pm

welcome! There is a bunch of good stuff up on the wiki for people to get to know the space.

kstoerz

Postby kstoerz » Mon May 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Welcome!

Another member (who doesn't make it in very often!) has almost all the parts for a RepRap. He's probably mainly lacking the free time to put it all together. But that's in the works, nonetheless.

smittex

Postby smittex » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes. It looks like we'll be rolling in on 6/22 so I'll probably attend the meeting on the 29th or 7/6, depending on how much settling we get done.

As far as work is concerned, I'm pretty well versed in Microsoft and Linux technologies; from programming, database, e-commerce, security, etc.

Thank you idris for the link. I'll check it out.

Can't wait to meet all of you...

-Bryan

Return to “General Discussion”