Site Logo

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Logos & Designs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:36 pm 

swinkdaddy wrote:
Here is something I whipped up over lunch.

Damn, I think I want to get that as a tattoo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:34 pm 

idris_arslanian wrote:
Damn, I think I want to get that as a tattoo.

Might want to wait at least until it's finalized. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

metis wrote:
wammie:
i don't think we want to include make mag on there, we're not affiliated, and that could imply affiliation, which would be bad

Good point.

Quote:
a few designs are starting to look a little busy.... a logo or banner wants to be simple, and identifiable, not necessarily everything we do, but emblematic of what we do.

Well understood. There is a little more room to "play" though in the banner area, versus a logo space. It's a fun challenge also to merge the simple and identifiable qualities with the broadness of scope that the maker community encompasses.

In most of my banner creation exploits I have gone the more "emblematic" route and haven't really toyed with photorealistic objects.

So we can keep in mind the three main spaces to use for identity designs: the main index page, which allows for very large photos, diagrams, and logos, the banner space on the forums and related pages, which allows for a space of perhaps 600px by 100px, and 16x16 or larger icon spaces.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:46 am 

oh definitely. we'll want a stack of versions of the "logo" as it were, based on printing scale, and format, but we'll want them all to tie it all together, and visibly be the "same". maybe it's a color scheme with a font, maybe it's an icon, and we can certainly have other images and posters and the like, and even use them for promotion, but a "brand" really is critical for being identified. think time magazine, you always know what it is by the border or font, even if they make the border green, or do an illustrated font.

in ideas thus far for *icon* or *logo* refinements in that direction(n.b. i'm just tossing stuff out, most of these are probably not workable or ideal, but thoughts for creating a logo):

wammie's primary color tool silouttes: maybe ballpeen, c clamp, using pliers with soldering iron and xacto or screwdriver for the m. what about just 2 colors?

my project letters: *good* pics and photoshop, and pick a stripe and background color that pops.

nic's hazards: proportions to make it scale? (i really like that one)

wammies stencil: other orientations? (square, vertical) do we like that stencil font? maybe a different font color? or background texture like the sides of a crate? (framing strips around perimiter, and a few vertical braces on the long narrow one?)

swinks' blueline: simplify and scale down? (maybe the dimension line across the square says "twin cites" maker in a big version and the smaller version has some rulings cut) it's a marketing poster if we've had one yet.

theo's makerkitty: can we get her a sawsall? maybe make her a black or grey kitty?

nic's spoonwarning: i love this one. it sums up so much, from electronics with the hot wire, to metal and wood, to engineering failures, and team work, to mostly success. in some ways it's the first thing that we as a group (not only in person, but through discussion on the forums) actually accomplished.

i know i skipped a few, wasn't' trying to omit anyone, more trying to hit on things that folks had gotten excited about or tied to multiple disciplines, and am typing this up between waiting for outlook to find things. i really detest outlook.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Metis, very thoughtful feedback!

I'd like to throw in a few more things:
-Though the spoonapault and spoon with cherry is pretty cool, it is a representation that favors Minneapolis over Saint Paul, so I don't think this idea is good for the main "trademark" type image.
-The images I would like to include in a basic design would represent Minnesota, Twin Cities, "T," "C," and "M" as tools or other suggestions of maker activity.
-The "maker" works with a lot of objects other than workshop tools and electronics tools, so there should be a way to integrate these other objects and materials in some forms of the trademark design.
-Colors are significant identifiers; I am thinking the state colors of maroon and gold would be ideal for the "standard" design.
-Another quality that makes an icon easily identifiable, esp. a very small 16x16 icon, is the shape. In a lineup of several icons on a button bar, for example, our icon should stand out among them, i.e., simple circle or square designs with primary colors wouldn't be that unique.
-I like the idea that we could have a few basic shape outlines and use patterns/backgrounds which are internal or external to the alphabetic letters area. Studio Bricolage is doing this; from time to time the letters consist of different materials.
-As far as fonts, some folks might NOT recognize brand fonts on power tools if they are newcomers to crafting (uhh, I could be included in that group). In a way I like the stencil font with not-so-perfect alignment, as it immediately shouts "made by hand."

These are all things to keep in mind. Also of course, even the "standard" design could incorporate an amusing element or arrangement of elements, just so long as it stays a simple enough template for future embellishments.

Keep churnin' the wheels, folks, and I'm sure we'll know the "right" design when it appears!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm 

wammie wrote:
-Though the spoonapault and spoon with cherry is pretty cool, it is a representation that favors Minneapolis over Saint Paul, so I don't think this idea is good for the main "trademark" type image.
Yeah, that one was meant to be a project logo, like the Pi Pie was an event logo.

wammie wrote:
-Colors are significant identifiers; I am thinking the state colors of maroon and gold would be ideal for the "standard" design.
Oh I don't know; it is a representation that favors the U of M over St. Thomas and Macalester. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:03 pm 

metis wrote:
theo's makerkitty: can we get her a sawsall? maybe make her a black or grey kitty?

That one was NOT meant to be taken at all seriously. No no no and again no. :P Besides, no.

EDIT: And furthermore...

Last edited by Theo on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:44 pm 
Global Moderator

Please, let's not try to design a logo by committee, or we get things like maroon and gold should be the standard colors, ew.

Just let those so inclined continue to do their thing essentially unencumbered and judge them on merit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

OooOOOoooHhhH! I came upon a cool idea!!!... workin' on it now, will reveal it later as I've just started it. This one has that catchy feelin'!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

noise wrote:
Please, let's not try to design a logo by committee, or we get things like maroon and gold should be the standard colors, ew.

Just let those so inclined continue to do their thing essentially unencumbered and judge them on merit.

I'm with ya on letting people design stuff on their own, but I see no problem in letting people make suggestions. Maybe maroon and gold isn't your favorite then, but others might not mind it. If you have another thought on it, please share.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next