Site Logo

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Logos & Designs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 am 

wammie wrote:
the blank space on the right is for room to put other things, like headline items, linkable graphics, and such, you know?
Ah, OK, I didn't get that. (Dunno if there's THAT much open space available, though, and the wording still looks crowded.)

wammie wrote:
Does this look steampunk to you? I wasn't going for that, necessarily, in this design. Do you guys want to go steampunkish? That would be fun though. In the meantime, I'll do something with the symbol and typefaces.
Er... yeah, I thought that was what you were going for. Steampunk is the big trendy right now, and there was the brass on wood, so I assumed... to be honest, I'm not personally a huge fan of it all, but my wife is, and it's kind of in line with the whole Maker idea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:07 am 

as an aesthetic parts of it i love, parts of it i hate. personally i'm a big fan of form following function, so all the extra bells and whistles and pipes that don't do anything i get annoyed by, but also the sleekness of a device with too few controls i get annoyed by.

that said, a well done brass label or badge is quite handsome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:24 am 
Site Admin

metis wrote:
as an aesthetic parts of it i love, parts of it i hate. personally i'm a big fan of form following function, so all the extra bells and whistles and pipes that don't do anything i get annoyed by, but also the sleekness of a device with too few controls i get annoyed by.

that said, a well done brass label or badge is quite handsome.

Thanks to those who've responded.

So, here is a basic badge that can replace the current chemistry guy. The graphic is basically our current favicon, supersized with words. Nothing fancy. Should we put this up for now? Then, when it's decided how else to use the banner space, we can expand on it. We can do rounded corners on this too, or other simple enhancements. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29 pm 

too close to u of mn colors. ... anyone know if derivative art is ok on the chem dude ccl? changing out the flask in a circle for logo might be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

metis wrote:
too close to u of mn colors. ... anyone know if derivative art is ok on the chem dude ccl? changing out the flask in a circle for logo might be fun.

http://images.wellcome.ac.uk/indexplus/ ... f+Use.html?

I think we are safe but it is worth a clarification email if decide to keep it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

metis wrote:

Hmmmm. These are the colors of the favicon, and I thought people were OK with the favicon!? I didn't know there was any objection to the colors. Not many people are commenting on this thread. Ultimately, I guess it's Paul's choice on what he'd like. If Paul/others want to continue with the blood red/bright red scheme, I should recolor the favicon. I would like to know if this is the case.

There is no problem, of course, with changing code, colors, or introducing your own graphics on a style template, hence the term "template." Even the horizontal bars can be recolored or changed at will. This does not change the basics of the style. At the bottom of the forum we have "Template made by DEVPPL Flash Games." This is sufficient reference to the template designers, but it could also be changed to something like "Style based on the original RedSilver template by DEVPPL Flash Games."

Really, I think the header area can be thought of as a graphics playground, and we can change it around as often as we want while keeping our main logo element intact somewhere. There are inifinite possibilities. Personally, the chemistry dude doesn't seem that apropros to our group.

My opinion at this point: If there are no solid ideas for the header other than the logo, we should for now just replace the chemistry dude with the logo and group name, with a good font. This is a very simple change that at least gives exposure to our logo. Anyone with an opinion on the font?

I'll be getting ready for vacation today and tomorrow, and gone next week, so I won't be spending as much time on creating graphics for a while. I'm having fun with this though, and I'm enjoying everyone's participation!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

metis wrote:
too close to u of mn colors.

Is that necessarily unwanted? ANY color scheme might be said to be close to something. I'm sure red and white is another university's color scheme. At least the colors might be recognized as "Minnesota" to some.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:31 pm 

isn't' that a solar panel shed? can you paint that?

yes, any color scheme will be similar to *something* , but for a local group unaffiliated with the local university it seems in poor taste. if we *were* affiliated....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:58 pm 

Only if you use solar paint. :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next