Site Logo

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Studio Bricolage
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:44 am 

Has anyone been in contact with these guys?

From their webpage it sounds like they are trying to do exactly what we are trying to do.

Post subject: Re: Studio Bricolage
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:49 am 
Global Moderator

uptownmaker wrote:
Has anyone been in contact with these guys?

From their webpage it sounds like they are trying to do exactly what we are trying to do.

Was just looking at their site last night, thinking the same thing. Maybe a little less techie than our group, not sure though, just an impression.

Edit: I take it back, their pretty techie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:14 pm 

I've been to one of their events - I know they've been looking for a separate space for Studio Bricolage. They seem to have good contacts, a lot of community good will, experience running a maker organization, technical skills and an artistic aesthetic. All around good people to partner with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

I made contact with them awhile ago, and invited them to come over to the forum and say hello but it seems they haven't shown up. Perhaps we should have a visit to their place in the future and see about what each other are doing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:44 pm 

My impression is that we're geekier, and they're artsier. Plenty of overlap both ways, though.

I agree that we should sit down with SB and talk shop, along with the hacker-spaces folks (like these three peeps who came to Common Roots last Wednesday) and MakeTV and the Science Museum and everybody we can possibly think of who'd make sense.

I'm maybe feeling a little overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:19 pm 

i get the feeling from their site that they're more of a classes sort of venue than a shop, but that may be ideal in terms of partnering, and getting shared space.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:07 pm 

i can't believe it, but i've been acquainted one of the members for almost 2 years and never heard about this!

we definitely should talk to them. even if they are a bit more focused on art and education than most of us, they still know the mpls/stp arts and festival scene REALLY well. definitely good people to know and collaborate with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:20 pm 

I sent out an e-mail to the one contact person I found on the site. We'll see what comes of that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:59 pm 

I apologize for not getting back to tcmakers earlier! Studio Bricolage started about two years ago. We are currently in the same bind you are - looking for affordable space - and have a temporary shop space in our sister organization, Leonardo's Basement, at 4301 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis.

We have a ton of hand and power tools, an old laser engraver, a cobbled-together x-y-z engraver and are about to purchase a CNC router. We also have access to other FabLab-type shops in the Twin Cities.

The First Friday of each month at 7 PM we invite the public to build stuff and are in the process of creating our first series of classes that will begin late-February and March. The March 6 First Friday party is our 2nd Annual Rube Goldberg causation contraption build. Bring something already made and work it into the machine or come and make a device with the stuff in our shop. $10 at the door includes food and drink.

Our mailing list is about 500 people and we are guided by a 12-member Steering Committee. As a program of Leonardo's Basement we are a tax-exempt non-profit and have secured two organizing and program grants from The McKnight Foundation.

We helped tpt find makers and provided filming space for the MAKE: Television show. We will be participating in the Make: Day at the Science Museum.

That's enough! I know you have set aside Wednesdays for your meetings but I would like to extend an invitation for all to attend our next meeting on Monday, February 23 at 6 PM (you can come late!) at 4301 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. The entrance is on the side of the building near the alley.

We can talk about shared visions, collaborations and other practical matters.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:10 pm 

stevejevning wrote:
2nd Annual Rube Goldberg causation contraption build

oh
hell
YES.