Site Logo

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sculptures = dolls? .... say again?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 am 

Hello everyone, and apologies for the 'complaint'.

I am new to the TC Maker crowd, not yet a member, and recently had a chance to visit the factory and see all sorts of goodies!
However... as a new face it is rather disappointing when I get to bring in some of my projects and discuss things with a member, and during the discussion I suddenly hear

'Stop playing with dolls'.

Not a big deal, normally. Though it does become a bit bothersome when the person is politely corrected, and yet their response is

'They're still dolls.'

Such a thing was quite startling, and rather irksome.
A simple joke? ...Possibly.
But for someone who has never met this person (I believe they go by the name Metis on the forum) and is visiting the factory for the very first time, it comes rather close to insulting. It was certainly unnecessary for them to reiterate the 'dolls' comment.

Post subject: Re: Sculptures = dolls? .... say again?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:58 am 
Global Moderator

While I was not there, it is a sad thing to hear...

We have several members who are working on or have worked on Puppets, Animatronics, floats and masks. Personally I have limited artistic skill, but think it is great that others have and share what they do so I can learn something.

Please ignore the close minded person who obviously has no regard for others, it has been my experience with this group that the vast majority has respect for others and their projects.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:34 am 

My curious and interest are sparked by several things in your post.

First, I'm very curious about what kind of stuff you're doing.

Even tho I've attended every wed. night since I joined mid-october, I think I missed seeing what you were working on.

Any chance you have any pictures at all?

Second, and more importantly, I'm sorry you had that particular experience. That's the exception, rather than the rule. One of the things I treasure about being a twin cities maker is that, this is the one place in my life where, when I'm working on something, people say "oh cool", or "have you th ought of doing it like this", rather than my day to day experience in real life, which is "why on earth would you want to do that, you freak", lol.

Third, is there any chance that the person in question wasn't Metis? Was he kilted? I ask as it sounds very out of character for that particular character.

Last, is Prideth a Pernese dragons name? It's been ages since I've read those, but I"m thinking a queen, maybe? or some other source?

Cheers, and I hope we see you around the space more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:01 am 

Prideth, I hope you aren't discouraged by the reaction of one member. He most certainly doesn't speak for anyone but himself. Whatever it is you brought, bring it back again! I'd love to check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:38 am 

my apologies if you took what was meant to be a friendly jibe as insulting. personally, i happen to play with dolls at least once a month, and often get playfully mocked by the friends i'm doing so with, and their children (mini figures in table top gaming). i was *NOT* trying to denigrate anyone's art, craft, or interests, and happen to be a big fan of sculpture, and animatronics. i tend to be a little irreverent with my friends.

obi was looking at a really cool little sculpture of a dragon and we were waiting on him to start the board meeting part 2. i came over to fetch him for the meeting, admired the ~3" dragon for a few moments while he was on conversation (i'm guessing with prideth), and during a pause i asked him if he was ready for the meeting, or if he wanted to keep playing with his doll. he responded dramatically "it's a dragon!", and i said, "yes, and a doll, it's pretty cool. we're waiting on you". this was entirely meant in jest and i apologize if you took offense, as certainly none was meant.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 am 

Ooooh, Prideth, I know who you are now. Yeah, those sculptures were super cool. Sorry you had a bad experience, and I hope you come back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:07 am 

i was actually intending to ask obi more about the 2 pieces, but by the end of the meeting got shanghaied onto several other things. we've had a few folks mention interest in learning small sculpture. in semi-related, did you get to play with ork's faux-gru silicone putty?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 am 
Site Admin

I want to see your stuff too, do you have anything online?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 pm 

Oh Hey, Prideth, I know I showed you something of mine I was working on, I don't recall if it was my home made sugru stuff or not.

I liked your dragons, and thought they were wicked cool.

Now that I'm connecting your name with your face and your work, I'm withdrawing my earlier question of "is your handle from Pern", and simply assuming that yes, it must be. =)

I hope you show up at the space more.

If you ever do a fire lizard sculpture, I want one. Bad.

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:35 pm 

A few people asked if I had anything online, right now it's a few drawings here and that's pretty much it at the moment. I'll be active HERE

@ Metis

Understandable, though it wasn't really what you said, but how it was said.
It didn't exactly register as playful or in jest, but not knowing you didn't help the matter. It had me scratching my head with 'is this guy serious or just cracking a joke?' fluttering about the brain. Could have just been the day, or any number of things that resulted in a mis-communication. Certainly seemed like there were plenty of things going on at the time, and others that needed attention.

I'm still trying to figure out what else that sugru stuff reminds me of, aside from a firmer kneaded eraser. I remember something similar to it that was kind of a kids 'clay' but don't have a clue as to what it might have been.

@ Oakraider

Indeed the name is Pernese, and one of the gold queens.
I'd like to eventually get into casting and mold making, which is what I was talking to Obi about. If that would lead to making more articulated figures/critters and possibly metal casts or cross over into welding, t'would just make it more fun!