Site Logo

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: lounge lizards and code wizards
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 am 

One additional thought.
Are we being overly anal about dust , and or noise in the social space? I ask because I see spaces like those in the link below that have no walled off sections at all, and wonder how they manage, seems like less wood working tools, and maybe better dust collection, but otherwise similar needs and setup.
You need to scroll down a bit to see the pictures, the space is newer, it would be interesting to hear what there experience has been.

http://artisansasylum.com/

Found a partial answer, they also have a clean classroom in a separate space, but the lounge vs. sawdust etc question remains.

I sent an email asking how their layout has been working for them. Anyone else see a model space that they think or know works well for all aspects? Be happy to move this if it's too far afield for the intended discussion.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 am 
Global Moderator

I keep seeing comparisons of our space to others, and I fail to see anybody mention that we have a larger number of woodworkers / Metal workers than those other spaces, which would then lead us to have larger areas for those groups.

The other thing I have never seen, is members need questionnaire that asks all members what they want. I see the same people (including myself) state what they think, but I know we have not heard from several members who may have no idea these discussions are taking place.

I know we have near 35 or so consistent members, but I only see 8 or 9 people speaking up on the forums. That is still a minority any way you look at it.

While I would love a social area, a classroom, a Electronics/computer lab, etc, the fact is that we only have so much space and I think we need the members to decide what is the priority.

There is a chance the majority does not want the metal shop, wood shop, etc.. then our needs for space could be an office space where it is cleaner, but from what I see these areas have people working in them often, while the classroom space gets heavy use on Wednesdays and for ad hoc meetings/classes.

But the group as a whole needs to decide what direction we go, not just a few individuals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 am 

Agreed, Booka. I'd love for there to be a survey asking members what they want.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm 

Big post on my lappy didn't go through, it'll go up in a bit, but 3 things I forgot to mention in it:

Most of our space planning has been based around various active members seeing a need, asking others about it, and doing it in a way that they think best serves that need while not disrespecting others. I.e. our metal shop just got rearranged by a few members active in that area who wanted it to be more workable. Our wood area shifts a little each week as its use changes. The couch went downstairs because a couple of board members asked a bunch of folks where they wanted it, and that was the concensus.

The airplanes are a members project(s) who may be teaching a class on rc.

Most of our members are not active on the forum. Not all of the forum folks are active in the space. I've been monitoring the forums more recently because folks weren't sure how to contact a board member, and its a way to catch a few folk who use the space at times other than me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 pm 

in response to a few things: (otto bumped me, and i sprinted off before noticing that this didn't go up, pardon some lack of continuity)

1) we're getting a *stupid* cheap deal on rent. i forget what it comes out to exactly, but we're under 50% of several other places we looked for a sq ft / year cost, and we have higher ceilings.

2) the space has evolved as members have brought in things that they want to work on, and tools they want to use. some tools take up more space than others (you do need min 10' clear on all sides of a table saw to cut an 8' piece of wood, and a router table has similar linear needs) the metal, wood, and electronics areas have shifted as more folks have started using one area or another. recently as i've been in the space, i've almost constantly encountered another member working on a wood project, one frequently working on metal, and more rarely 1 person working with the makerbot, or on a computer in the classroom. while some folks didn't join for access to wood tools, others did.

3) while more interesting lighting would be nice in the classroom, personally i really like white walls, they make it feel bigger. as i said above, i'd love more whiteboards on the side.

4) i think we're pretty awesome as a makerspace. we do have more sq ftage designated to tools than to lounge, however that seems to have been what our members are interested in. personally, i'd say we as a community are doing a good job of acting on the wants of members. hacker/makerspaces are defined by their community, to say we're not hacdc, heatsynch labs, or txrx is accurate, we're not, we're twin cities maker. we're not (although we're remarkably similar to txrx in layout and area devoted to shop vs clean).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:36 pm 

oh, and a members survey is in progress, hopefully it'll launch later this week after we confirm all the various bits that need to go into it with what folks have asked for info about.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

I am tending to agree with John and Adam here. The number one awesome thing I see with our space is the people, and the conversation that erupts in the classroom or meatspace or what ever we call it.

I had an awesome time when we were all just meeting in coffee shops around a huge table passing stuff around. It's this type of collaboration that our space is kind of lacking on.

I think a survey of people would be a really awesome thing, but what exactly are we going to ask?
If we are talking re-arranging stuff then I think it wold be useful if people were to put some ideas of re-arranging down.

This is my rough sketch of how the factory is now.

What do you guys propose?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:03 pm 

i routinely see a LOT of collaboration going on.

there's a handful of folks still learning/trying to get reliable prints out of the makerbot, ork was teaching folks impromptu about bow and bowstring making, several folks helped me out on the planer repair, various folks help each other out with welding projects, a group of us were talking about locks after hmmm4, ork has several things going that i've only once seen only him working on, folks routinely poke otto on the cnc mill, several folks helped me build a door, paul 3 folks were playing with foam and tape with you last wednesday, and i poked my nose in on occasion. judeling is always working on something with several folks.... i could go on.

if you venture out of the classroom most wednesdays you'll see not only someone getting a tour, but a few folks actively working on a project, and several others hanging around them helping, or chatting.

no, we're not all crammed into one tiny room where we can't hear each other speak, but we're getting 20+ people to almost every open wednesday where we were getting a scant 15 for bi weekly business meetings, and fewer for the off week meetups. i've *never* seen fewer than 7 folks here on a wednesday, where there were meetings that had that few.

lots of folks have poured a lot of effort into our group, and are getting a lot of use out of it. it clearly is not serving everyone's needs, but the board IS doing it's best to address things as we're made aware of them.

jwb, you asked for more loungey space, and by talking and listening to other members, several of the board worked to start a targeted space for you. it's not exactly what you wanted, but i can think of 12 people off the top of my head who use the table saw regularly, so i'm not sure i see the benefit for the group to remove it, or place it somewhere it physically can't be used. we DO have the skills to make it an awesome lounge. the classroom is used not only as a gathering space, but as project benches, classroom, and presentation space. most of it's use on wednesdays is project desks that folks gather around.

--offtopic servey, i'll start a thread asking for input on that, but currently it asks about what tools you actually (would) use in the space, how often you're there, contact preferences, updates to membership profiles, of note, some of that we can glean from door use records, but it's not always accurate as folks come in together, or go out to smoke every hour or two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:52 pm 

moved OT stuff into the polling thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

I wasn't even aware that we had officially been given full use of the "airplane room." To my knowledge, the guy with the RC stuff had just left things there and nobody's complained. I have not heard that this space was written is our contract as part of the leased space.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next