Site Logo

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Why do we have a Blog?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:15 pm 

Cool Riley,

Thanks for posting, I thought about tables too, when I last posted, and may end up going there, but I really hate tables so I muddled through without.

One other thought I had looking at your and my recent posts was if we should have a standard to use the "more" tag to continue longer posts after a click for those who are interested. I saw the feature in WP when I made my last post, and I'm guessing we'll want to look into using it at some point. It would keep the blog page load peppier and (I think) allow more posts to be in the first page, anyone know what determines when an older post rolls off the bottom? I think if we get more posters and are creating content on a weekly or daily basis we'd want to go to a "picture and paragraph" model where the user can click the more button to get the full posts when desired.

I'm not saying we are there, but I'm hopeful we get enough posters and content that we have a reason to consider, what some loose standards are.

Riley, it's great to have you posting, and I'm excited to have a camera with a flash that lives in the space, I think Brad had one he was planing to similarly donate.

Let's keep this going folks, I have plenty of energy to post at the moment, but I don't like a big percentage of the Blog to be generated by any one person, so I really appreciate Riley and others getting involved in posting.

Who's next? Will someone volunteer to write up tomorrow's happenings? I'm willing to help, taking pictures asking people what they are doing whatever.

Thanks

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:22 pm 

Cool beans, Pete.

Excellent idea on concise posts with "more", I like it. I tend to ramble otherwise.

That camera I picked up doesn't have a flash; it's the 3rd or 4th I've picked up over the years that seems to use the exact same chipset, 640 by 480 (vga?) resolution, works as a webcam, does the job and almost always available at a drugstore near you.

Tables can suck, but if you create some kind of templatey kind of thing in notepad, you can just copy and paste your content in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

otto_pjm wrote:
...anyone know what determines when an older post rolls off the bottom?...

Currently, 10 posts are displayed on the homepage. If a new one is published, the oldest gets bumped. The number can be changed on the Settings tab. (may need to be admin to see/change it)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Admin

I put your links out on the blog Pyro and put another one up for the Plasma thing.

Simple but effective.

I would put up info for the winners for the race but I do not have that information.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:43 am 

Whomever puts up the race results, will you also include a shoutout to MAKE for donating a box of prizes?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:56 am 

Pyrodogg wrote:
A homebrewed cable cam, like the nfl uses, would be epic to see.

I happened to see a VGA color camera with an integrated 100' power and video signal cable at Harbor Freight the other day. I was thinking wireless web cab or similar, but you still need power way out at the camera, so I'm thinking this might not be a bad way to go. I think I have an old WinTV / hauppauge / brooktrout pci video capture card somewhere. I'm thinking the combination might not be half bad.

Thoughts?

B&W
http://www.harborfreight.com/weatherpro ... 47546.html

Color (might be lower res)
http://www.harborfreight.com/weatherpro ... 95914.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 am 
Site Admin

otto_pjm wrote:
Cool Riley,

Who's next? Will someone volunteer to write up tomorrow's happenings? I'm willing to help, taking pictures asking people what they are doing whatever.

did this happen?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:50 am 
Global Moderator

I do not think so, I had a camera down there, but I spent my time messing with a project, and Riley had taken some pictures of his current bow, but I think that was it.