Why do we have a Blog?

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
otto_pjm

Re: Why do we have a Blog?

Postby otto_pjm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Pyrodogg wrote:Riley, I don't know what the standard operating procedure is but I've bumped your blog acct up to author. You should be able to write your own blog posts now.

I think that is standard procedure, someone who can, bumps up the perms of someone expressing interest. Thanks for doing so.

So I posted my CNC-Operator class post, and now I have questions, How do add it to the Calendar? It's a Google Calendar, but I'm not sure who has / how I'd get edit privileges. Similarly where is the Classes section of the blog, talk about out of date, I don't think it changed since I joined.

Wayne or whoever's working on the handbook we need to cover
  • how to make a blog post
  • how to make a calendar event
  • how to update the Classes Blog Section

Booka,

Booka wrote: (BTW Riley is one of those folks that we need more like, he visualized something, and tried it, and then refined and tried again, that is a maker IMO)

Right on, A for effort and enthusiasm, and, well that's about all that matters
Brad, I'd like to commend you too, you are the man for transportation, you've come through whenever I've had a need to bring equipment, auction winnings etc, and I sense you are involved in a great deal of behind the scenes gentle persuasion, we all need a shove in the right direction some times, which leads me to my next thought on keeping content flowing.

You championed the 2nd Saturday concept to get more happening at the HF. I think it would provide steady content to the blog too, I jumped in and did the first one, and then .......... it just kind of hung there and died. I know we can't make people present topics, hold classes etc, but there's ways to draft those doing interesting stuff and get it out in front of the public.

I'd suggest that excellent past / future 2nd Saturday sessions on.
  • Welding
  • Metal Casting
  • Drawer making / joinery
  • Clothes line racer ideation and build day
  • Air tools 101
  • MDF the good the bad and the ugly

I think if we can get some momentum and consistency keeping a monthly happen occurring, the blog content flow more readily as a result.

What happened to the cabaret?
I think they stopped about the time I became a member, I don't see a user mpm on the forum's in WP it looks like Matt Mackall. Matt, if you are out there what's the word, will these resume? I know we could do these with or without Matt, and I'd be happy to help in whatever ways required, I've just never seen one, who else has been involved, why aren't we doing these?

Pete

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:37 pm

Orkraider wrote:So I want to put something on the blog. How do I go about doing so?

I went through a signup thing of some kind, but didn't see a "Enter your new post here, Riley" button.

Let me know.

Awesome lively discussion, too, I eat that up.

Let me know if you have questions or need help posting.

Pete

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:55 pm

I added an update to the blog post from the last CNC class.

Pyrodogg, I attached one of your photo's from the flicker group and added a link so people could check out more there. Thanks for taking the pics, I really needed a haircut : )

Pete

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:28 am

.... and added a post about the CNC Router dovetails for drawers I've been working on, it's looking like the Pete show out there, get posting people!

Pete

metis

Postby metis » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:03 pm

matt doesn't follow the forums, he's planning on resuming cabaret in the next month or two his schedule got too busy and summer interest was waning.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Pete: I have questions, and need help posting.

Namely, how do I post?

Is there a link or button or somesuch that says "Add new post here"?

Nice cnc and dovetails posts, btw.
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:52 pm

So I posted my CNC-Operator class post, and now I have questions, How do add it to the Calendar? It's a Google Calendar, but I'm not sure who has / how I'd get edit privileges. Similarly where is the Classes section of the blog, talk about out of date, I don't think it changed since I joined.

The calendar belongs to twincitiesmaker gmail account. Whoever runs that has access to change the calendar.

adamwolf

Postby adamwolf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Can I get blog posting privs?

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Adam, unfortunately the blog and forum user db's aren't the same (and I don't want to nuke everything tying them together).

I don't see a blog acct by the same name as your forum handle. Do you have an account with the wordpress blog?

otto_pjm

Postby otto_pjm » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Orkraider wrote:Pete: I have questions, and need help posting.

Namely, how do I post?

Is there a link or button or somesuch that says "Add new post here"?

Nice cnc and dovetails posts, btw.

Riley I can check in the morning, but I believe it's just posts, and then new. You can preview before it gets published too.

I'm assuming you are at the wp-admin page?

Pete

Return to “General Discussion”