Site Logo

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Make Day coordinating
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:12 pm 

OK, the short bit:

We're having 3 areas. We need 3 volunteers for each area, so we have 2 at each area at any one time, and volunteer folks can see other things. We need transportation for the Spoonapult and Operation Game to and from the museum. Both will fit in one full sized pickup; the Spoonapult will break down into a full sized sedan with profanity, or a big hatchback/van/wagon.

Time commitment pending, we're expecting to load in BEFORE opening, and load out after the end of the event (need "load in" and "load out" times specified here).

We have* (to be edited as its completed):
  • 4' booth inside: Clothesline racers, slideshow, Arduino?, small original projects? stickers, brochures, wallet cards, MakerBot printed pieces
    • Volunteers: Mike H.*, Wayne M.*, Jonathan T.B.*
  • Spoonapult outside: Spoonapault, cherries, torsion, flinging, brochures, wallet cards
    • Volunteers: Michael F.*, Scott*, ---
  • Operation location?: Operation on legs, brochures, wallet cards, buzzer sounds and lights
    • Volunteers: Jim*, ---, ---
  • We're aiming to have t-shirts to be purchased for and by our volunteers in the 10-15$ range, Jim and I are working on that (may be a "you provide shirt, we get printed" sorta thing, again).
  • Wayne M. (wammie) and I are working on bumper stickers, new wallet cards, and a revamp of the brochure.
  • Mike H. is point person for contacts with the official folks.
  • Wayne M. (wammie) is point for the slideshow.
  • If you want to volunteer and can commit to *most* of the day, please do so. If you can only swing half the day we'll happily take that too, but preference will be given to folks who can help set up and hang out. The idea behind 3 bodies is everyone should be able to get a few breaks, and we'd prefer to have 2 bodies at each thing all the time. We *have* to have 2 at the Spoonapault to keep folks off it.

-Michael F. (metis)
[Edit: Formatting/style improvements by wammie]

Post subject: Re: Make Day coordinating
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

I will commit to all/most of the day to this event and help man the inside booth with the clothesline racers.

I've asked for folks to submit photos for the slideshow in the Make Day 2010 thread. I actually have a spare LCD I could bring for the slideshow, or we could cop one from the H.F. Hopefully Brandon can get that Windows 7 laptop for the day?

I'll do some redesign/rewrite work for the brochures and wallet cards, working with Mike F. (metis) to get printed. If necessary, I'll fund printing costs if my expense can be applied toward future dues.

I'm interested in constructing a clothesline racer, but I can't promise to do this. I thought it would be fun to make a traveling little Bessie advert, like a plane-like thingy pulling a little banner or shape announcing Bessie's presence at the Milk Carton Boat Races.

Post subject: Re: Make Day coordinating [Printing Cost]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Here is the pricing for business cards at Office Max:
http://www.officemax.stylish-businessca ... ingdetails
The least expensive matte stock, one side print, full color, goes for $69 and $75 for 1500 and 2000 cards, respectively.

FedEx Office would do 2500 for $70:
http://www.fedex.com/us/office/designpr ... cards#tab4

We discussed $100 for Make Day expenditures assuming we got enough people to pay June dues. Have we met that requirement? $100 would only leave us $30 to do brochures and stickers.

I'd be willing to foot the bill for additional printing costs if I can apply that toward future dues. I'd do a multiple of $50 so Brandon doesn't have to do any odd-amount bookkeeping.

Is it possible we could get that large format printer at the Hack Factory working to print ourselves a banner? That would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 pm 

I'll be the third man at the indoor booth with my clotheline racer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 pm 

I got the coordination e-mail today- they've requested presenters to be in the lobby between 10 and 10:30. They'll issue us wristbands and parking vouchers, and immediate family members (kids and spouses/SO's) will get in free.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:39 pm 

uptownmaker wrote:
I got the coordination e-mail today- they've requested presenters to be in the lobby between 10 and 10:30. They'll issue us wristbands and parking vouchers, and immediate family members (kids and spouses/SO's) will get in free.

Parent's and siblings?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 am 

I'll be there the whole time, I have a 4' table next to our inside table. I might need a ride in, have to confirm that with the Mrs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

jwb wrote:
I'll be there the whole time, I have a 4' table next to our inside table. I might need a ride in, have to confirm that with the Mrs.
John, would you like to attend the Operation Game or Spoonapault location?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:56 pm 
Global Moderator

Ok, as of now, I can commit to dropping off the Operation / Spoon-a-pult Sunday AM, but it looks like I will not be able to pick them up. (unless it can wait until after dark, as we have a BBQ planned for Nieces bday / fathers day..

This could change, but that is the word right now.

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 pm 
Global Moderator

I am not going to get down to the HF tonight, so let me know if I should plan on Sunday AM for a delivery, it is looking less and less like I can pick up the stuff on Sunday.

Brad