Site Logo

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Salvage Night at Leonardo's Basement
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

From Uptownmaker on the TC Maker Blog:
Quote:
TCMaker is sponsoring an electronics salvage night. Bring in old electronics and we’ll all pull them apart finding useful and usable parts.

Please bring tools, if you have them! Useful tools for this project are heat guns, butane or propane torches, soldering irons, solder wick, solder, screwdrivers, bit drivers with replaceable bits, extension cords, and side cutters.

Join us at Leonardo’s Basement from 6:30 to 9:00 on Wednesday, Aug 26th!
Some questions have come up as to what we're going to do with excess junk that we're not going to salvage. I'd think that one of us can bring the stuff to a city recycling center, maybe the one in Bloomington. Possibly also they have a recycling bin at Leonardo's; I'm not sure.

Anyone want to volunteer for recycling?

I'm going to bring some hard drives and an old Sony game station to disassemble, and possibly some other things.

Post subject: Re: Salvage Night at Leonardo's Basement
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:15 pm 

Stuff that comes from my company will have to go back to my company- there could be uncomfortable questions asked if too many circuit boards with my company's name on them end up in a municipal recycling center.

Otherwise, I'd say we should do our best to separate- plastics in one pile for trash, metals in another for recycling, and electronics in a third for the hazardous waste disposal path.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:56 am 

Someone dropped off a microwave by our dumpster a couple days ago. I'd like to gut it, but I don't know that I want to be responsible for disposing of the corpse afterwards. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:09 pm 

Bring it.

With electronics, 95% of the volume can be trashed. It's that pesky 5% that needs to be sent to the hazardous waste recycling. I'll figure out something to do with that 5%.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 am 

Can do. There's also an old TV there, but I don't think I want to be messing around with some big capacitors, still probably capacitating. Plus there's the CRT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Obi-Bob wrote:
Can do. There's also an old TV there, but I don't think I want to be messing around with some big capacitors, still probably capacitating. Plus there's the CRT.

Yeah, probably there isn't enough time in one evening to deal with the TV and other things. I'm sure some in our group know proper ways to deal with TVs safely, i.e., grounding yourself and wearing rubber gloves, discharging caps, etc. I'd say grab the TV anyway, if you have space to store it, and we'll perform the surgery some other time. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:59 pm 

CRT devices are, on the whole, not worth the hassle. They have some very high voltages inside, and usually don't have terribly useful stuff otherwise.

The flyback transformer for stepping the voltage up to the kV range can be a nice acquisition, however...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:46 pm 

I found an old Vodavi phone system waaaay up on the top shelf at work. No phones, just the key system. It's maybe mid-80s vintage, so lots of discrete componenty bits.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 am 

I have a flatbed scanner, a Lexmark inkjet, about 40 office phones (with 2x20 LCDs), a pretty big swath of PCBs from my company's trash (including a handful of 300V DC power supplies), and some static safe bags and plastic boxes for everyone to take their finds home in.