Class options?

Social get-togethers, business meetings, outings and scoutings
uptownmaker

Re: Class options?

Postby uptownmaker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Theo wrote:Lemme get this straight. Folks are thinking about doing an electronics class... without making anything electronic? :|
Mike? Eh wot??

I'm afraid that was my intent, for the first class or two at least, although breadboarding and such-like is not out of the question.

A small group would be better; the model I'm looking at would be 3-4 people at a table, with lots of question and answer, and me with a short list of topics I want to cover. I want to sketch some stuff on the whiteboard, and I want to show some things on my oscilloscope. Now, all that said, I DO want to move to some demonstrations/lab work/hands on stuff in a later class, but for the first one or two, where we are mostly concerned with Ohm's law, AC versus DC, Kirchoff's laws, etc., any demonstration is likely to be pretty bland.

But, when we get to op-amps, transistors, diode, and all that jazz, breadboards are a necessity.

Theo

Postby Theo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Well I hadn't thought of breadboards, duh... that'd eliminate the need to solder, for a while. So yeah, library or clean basement, sure. I could even host that. I don't have a whiteboard, but I do have a home-theater projector connected to a PC. And, well, folks would have to either not be allergic to cats, or fortify themselves with appropriate allergy meds. (We have three cats and a rabbit. Two of these are very friendly.)

metis

Postby metis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 pm

really groking how ac and dc work, fundamental wave forms, and examples like how amps and watts etc compare to say psi and pipe diameter in plumbing can probably be an afternoon. and provide a healthy understanding of dangers and concepts

Theo

Postby Theo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Heh yeah. Pat should bring his transformer autopsy.

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:43 pm

I think that's a very nice idea for a class. I also definitely agree with the separation of fundamental electronics and soldering things, two very different tasks. I guess I'm not strictly in the 'pupil' demographic, finishing up my CompE degree, but I'd love to help out.

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Postby paulsobczak » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:28 pm

I think this would be a great starter to use Studio Bricolage, If I understand this is exactly what Steve would like to see happening.

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 pm

I think perhaps I should contact Steve at SB and see if he'd like to involve them in this- It's their kind of thing, I think.

Makes it easier to use their space.

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Pyrodogg wrote:I think that's a very nice idea for a class. I also definitely agree with the separation of fundamental electronics and soldering things, two very different tasks. I guess I'm not strictly in the 'pupil' demographic, finishing up my CompE degree, but I'd love to help out.

Lots of tutors would be a good thing (for me anyway).
Make it happen.

hootenanny

Postby hootenanny » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:40 pm

i would totally go if we can get the schedules to work! one of the myriad reasons why i joined the group is because i know nothing about electronics but want to tackle some basic projects.

great idea, mike!

Nicholas Lee

Postby Nicholas Lee » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 pm

im down for a refresher course.

i do agree with Theo that most of us are "hands on" kinda people. a literal example would work better.
(for me at least)

Return to “Meetups”