Site Logo

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Class options?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:10 am 

Would anyone be interested in a "Basics of electronics" class?

Starting with volts, amps, watts, and ohms, moving on to AC vs. DC, transformers and other power supplies, a bit on inductors and capacitors, then going to stuff like diodes, transistors, op-amps?

There's a lot there, but if it was spread out over four classes, it probably wouldn't be so bad.

Post subject: Re: Class options?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:21 am 

I probably know a lot of basic stuff but I'd still attend. I need to work on my soldering skillz.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 am 
Global Moderator

Hell yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 am 

Okay, that's two, although I wouldn't cover soldering skills in this one (although a class on that topic probably wouldn't be far behind).

I'm looking at meeting rooms at libraries. I'm thinking either the Central downtown library or the one at Hennepin and Lake in Uptown. Hennepin/Lake probably has better parking options, but Downtown is probably more meeting-friendly in terms of space.

When should we do this? Evening hours during the week are limited as the libraries close at 6 p.m. on Wednesday and Friday, 8 on Tuesday and Thursday, and aren't open on Monday. Perhaps on a Saturday afternoon, or Sunday? Sunday rules out the Hennepin/Lake location- it's closed Sundays.

I'll be looking for a place with a whiteboard or chalkboard, since that's really the only way I can explain this stuff. If anyone has any ideas BESIDES the libraries, I'm open to suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:06 am 

are you expecting to get a free space? or have to pay for it?

i'd be interested in a refresher course, been pondering getting one of those snap circuit things to play with.

of course after the pult, i *HAVE* to finish my bathroom asap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:17 am 

If I can get the OK from the wife, we could have it in my basement. I've got chairs, and a 4x6ft whiteboard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:22 am 

uptownmaker wrote:
I'm looking at meeting rooms at libraries... a place with a whiteboard or chalkboard, since that's really the only way I can explain this stuff. If anyone has any ideas BESIDES the libraries, I'm open to suggestions.

Suggestion: Studio Bricolage / Leonardo's Basement, sometime off-hours for them. Because whiteboards will only get a class so far without actually doing any hands-on electronics work, and I don't see a library being the best place to try & do that.

Corollary suggestion: Make darn sure arrangements to use the space have been made ahead of time, and CONFIRMED shortly beforehand.

Dave -- um, how to put this delicately?... ah screw it. Is your basement significantly tidier than Michael's? Do you have space, tables, power, lighting, and ventilation for a class of solderers?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 am 

Theo wrote:
Dave -- um, how to put this delicately?... ah screw it. Is your basement significantly tidier than Michael's? Do you have space, tables, power, lighting, and ventilation for a class of solderers?

Clean? Are you kidding? I'm married to a neat freak. We're on a cleaning schedule and if that isn't followed... things get withheld.

Space: 1500 sq ft of unfinished bsmt We could use one of the proposed sections that is
Tables: I believe so. Depends on how many are game for the class. If it's small, we've got it covered.
Lighting: Yes
Ventilation: We've got a couple box fans that'd work
Power: This'd be a bit of an issue, but nothing a couple extension cords and power strips wouldn't fix.

Wasn't Uptown just saying that the soldering class would be separate, though? I was just thinking about the basic electronics class.

Last edited by Theo on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fixed quote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:36 am 
Global Moderator

I'm thinking Mike is talking about covering electronics theory, not application. No solder will be harmed...

Dave's basement sounds good to me, opens up the refreshment options, or perhaps open containers aren't allowed in the house. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:45 am 

Lemme get this straight. Folks are thinking about doing an electronics class... without making anything electronic? :|
Mike? Eh wot??