Site Logo

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pi Pie design for Make Day t-shirts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 pm 

One advantage of the pie design: it's mine start to finish. Cain't nobody piss an moan bout th' innulekshul propitty fer that, nohow. 'Cept me.
(and I do NOT intend it to become the "official" logo for the group; I just think it would make a fun T-shirt)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:34 pm 

Theo wrote:
One advantage of the pie design: it's mine start to finish. Cain't nobody piss an moan bout th' innulekshul propitty fer that, nohow. 'Cept me.
(and I do NOT intend it to become the "official" logo for the group; I just think it would make a fun T-shirt)

metis wrote:
hmmm. i'll wager that since the website is technically personal at this point we're still w/in teh creative commons lic, but we might be pushing our luck printing it as a formal logo for our group, paul have you contacted them about use for other stuff?

paulsobczak wrote:
I am not sure about using the logo for more formal use, I knew that we needed some type of logo at the beginning and I just made one. I thought, and still do, that we will come up with a better one, once we define our name.

Although I have enjoyed the logo so far.

According to their terms of use, since we would be using it for non-commercial purposes, we are free to use it if we put a little "©Wellcom.ac.uk" watermark at the bottom of the image.

We could forgo imagery entirely and do a simple text message...

Last edited by uptownmaker on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:56 pm 

well, i like the pie pie, think it'd be a simple thing to posterize and spray paint up a half dozen, and it'll be a conversation starter.

my reading of the TOU was that individuals could use it for non commercial use, or reference, but others (read groups) need to contact them.

remember this is just a one off shirt for the 6? of us who're volunteering. we can certainly make more for others.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:28 pm 

metis wrote:
think it'd be a simple thing to posterize and spray paint up a half dozen

Simpler than printing and ironing? You're talking about cutting out 3 or 4 highly intricate stencils, just for starters.
I did take a few cracks at 2- and 3-level posterizing, btw, but it just turns into unrecognizeable crap. This design needs its shading & texture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:46 pm 

on other than a white background? yes.

in general? no.

an option would be to stencil on a white paint background and iron over that.... anyone tried that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:03 pm 

metis wrote:
an option would be to stencil on a white paint background and iron over that....

Interesting. It would be tricky to pick out a good fabric paint that's opaque & bright white, yet can be sprayed on (or thinly brushed on). The idea would be for the fabric to still feel like fabric after the whitewash treatment, y'know, rather than truck tarp. Heat set it with a dry iron over parchment, then iron on the inkjet decal. Hmm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:40 pm 

Heck, could you get really simple and use a black shirt w/ something like a screen print stencil and then spray a bleach solution over it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:53 pm 

bleach kills the fabric, and you'll get a brown. there are discharge dyes that work pretty well, but you'll still end up with a brown color, and they really depend a lot on knowing what kind of dye went on tin the first place.

we'd do better to make a resist with some 1" marine ply clamp it on to the shirts, dye them with a good dye and then iron onto that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:53 pm 

I made myself a shirt today using nick's soldering iron and some sticky scrapbooking letters then sprayed over with bleach, I'll try to get some pictures when it comes out of the wash, otherwise, unless the washer or dryer eat it, I'll wear it tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:56 pm 

idris_arslanian wrote:
Heck, could you get really simple and use a black shirt w/ something like a screen print stencil and then spray a bleach solution over it?

Y'know I've actually done this. Yep, I did get a coppery brown afterwards, which looked cool, but really it's still be too dark to serve as a background for an inkjet iron-on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next