Site Logo

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Catapult Saturdays!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:45 pm 

next week i'd liek to start earlier, since we've got a LOT of finish work to do on it yet.

i'll try to bring along some bits to the meeting on wednesday, and may get ambitious and try to weld the bowl to the spoon some morning this week before work.

how deos 10am strike everyone?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:31 pm 

10:00 AM works OK for me. If you're awake even earlier, though, I could start even earlier. (read: we could allow for kitten-wrangling time, plus lunch, and still have hours left to get stuff assembled & shaped)

Do you have something to weld with? Does anybody?

We still need to get some sort of hot wire foam cutter built for the EPS work (Wiki reference), and we'll need some actual styrofoam. I think I already have enough spray adhesive to layer together a sculptable block out of some of that pink stuff, or whatever's most economical. Can you locate that plated printer wire you mentioned last week?

And of course, there's the cherries to sew.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:33 pm 

PS -- I'll be bringing my bits too.

Post subject: Catapult Saturday II
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 pm 

we'll have heat, and lots to do. the frame is 90% there, and the spoon will need to be laminated.

if anyone has some bondo or the like that we can use as a filler on part of the bowl, that'd be good, and we may want some dust masks for sanding.

how does 10am sound for everyone? maybe order pizza for lunch?

are we going to try to do the foam hand? anyone have a sheet or three of foam kicking around?

as before PM for directions or get them from me on wednesday.

Post subject: Re: Catapult Saturday II
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:41 pm 

I have a pack of simple dust masks & will bring them. Oh, and I can bring my band saw too, plus another collapsable worktable to set it up on.

Gotta do the hand & release finger. The sculptural touches will make the 'pult 100% funnier and more photogenic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:59 pm 

i wouldn't bet on me being awake before 9, but if you want to give me a call after that, i can certainly wander down and let you into the garage.

a friend of mine has a shop and i'll wager he'll let me weld that some morning this week. if not, i think we'll be fine with sheet metal screws and gorilla glue, especially after we build up a few layers of wood.

i suspect we'll want a bucket of c clamps so that we can have a lot of different areas of veneer going down at once. iv'e got a few, and picked up a few more small ones at menards sunday, but i don't have any that will get to the interior of the bowl of the spoon.

theo, you had an orbital sander along right?

i've got some styro that came in around the new microwave but i suspect that it'll serve better as cherry padding than as sculpting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 pm 

re: arrival time -- heh, guess I'll let you get your beauty sleep.

re: friend's shop & welding -- ah, had forgotten you'd mentioned that. Good good. (A few carefully-placed spot welds will be FAR better than trying to use Gorilla Glue metal-to-metal.)

re: C-clamps -- even better would be a bunch of those small spring clamps, including for the bowl of the spoon. We won't need clamps that go all the way into the center of the spoon bowl; clips around the perimeter will be perfectly fine, perhaps in tandem with some weighting in the center. Trust me, it'll work. For the metal-to-wood bond, I still want to use epoxy; we won't need too much of it, though.

I will need to do some cutting and shaping of the veneer strips with a utility knife, to get the flat pieces to conform to the concave & convex surfaces.
Does anybody have a French curve for freehanding the pencil lines?

re: orbital palm sanders -- yep, already in your garage, in one of those square white kitty-litter buckets I brought, along with discs of assorted grits. There's the round one with built-in dust collection, and also an older palm sander which takes regular square sheets of sandpaper; holds 'em in place with wire clips.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:19 pm 

i was thinkign along the lines that gorilla glue expands when curing, adn that the springs will spriog out. i've stacks of those, but i don't trust em as much.

does anyone have epoxy for the metal/wood connection? the quick set gorilla glue claims to do metal/wood...

also, grey primer and silver metallic paint would be useful, i'm pretty sure i've got some old stuff that's frozen that might not fail to work... that can be a last minute home despot run too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:29 pm 

I can pick up some appropriately-timed epoxy, and some wood filler putty for touch-ups.

Don't worry about the bubbling & expansion of the Gorilla Glue. We can do a test with a little scrap; if it looks like it'll be an issue, we can switch to Elmer's wood glue, which I have plenty of. It's slower, yes, but if I use some heat lamps it won't take too long. I can switch back and forth between adding veneer layers and helping with other things, too.

I really, really hope we can make a rope spring strong enough to propel the massive spoon we're planning. Kinda worried about this. (Of course, if we cover the spring mechanism up with sculpted EPS hands, it hardly needs to be made of rope, eh? So we've got a Plan B built in.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:41 pm 
Global Moderator

I have lots of laminating type epoxy (well a couple of quarts anyway), but it usually takes overnight to fully cure, sounds like you are looking for something faster than that.

Funny you should mention a hot wire cutter, I've been planning on building one, but alas haven't gotten there yet.

Here's another option for a quick and dirty hot wire cutter using an old train transformer.

http://www.info-central.org/construction_hotwire.shtml