Site Logo

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Basic Tools and wishlists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:01 pm 
Global Moderator

I have taken on the task of putting together a list of what tools we are looking to get, starting with the most basic of shop tools and working on to those dreams of Lasers and Plasma...

During this I have decided that we need to communicate this better, and hope to create a front end to my lists for the website so everybody can see what we are looking for and add to the list as they see fit. So while I have a spreadsheet started with these tools, I am going to work with a couple others to get this moved to a database so everybody can see what I am doing, and if they feel the need bring items up that they think should be present.

I have broken down the groups to Safety/Organization, Woodworking, Metalworking, Electronics, and Advanced Tools. So the Cupcake printer is and advanced tool, and while we have one now, it would not have made the need to have or even should have category, but would have been Nice to have.

I am starting with the basics, things like wood planes, clamps, (shop Vac was on the list, until we had a member offer to donate one today), drill / mill bits, saws, wrenches, hammers, and so forth. The basic premise is that what would a basic shop of this type have on hand, so the electronics desk has a meter and soldering station, the woodworking tools have blades for the saws (backup blades too), the metal working station needs to have a couple more sanding / cutting disks for the tools already there, and in my opinion, Safety gear needs to be present. Today we ran out of safety glasses for our full group, which we worked around, but should not have happened. We need to have dust masks, ear protection etc.

I will get this list posted as soon as I can, and then I want your input on items, everything should be on the list, they may not all be bought or even sought after to start with, but if you as a member have an interest, we should make sure it is in the plan.

One other part of this which is a little further up the path, is stock inventory, Nuts n Bolts, key electronic parts, wood and metal stock. Now this most likely will need to be an investment where the member who needs it "buys" the stock and we replace it so this is not part of the first round, and will need a bit more discussion to it, but it would be nice to have a few Arduino kits around for quick projects, or to have metal stock on hand to make that part rather than wait a day or to to get to a supplier and then get back to the shop?

Look for updates here, and ultimately on the blog or wiki when I get further along.

Brad.

Post subject: Re: Basic Tools and wishlists
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:55 pm 

err brad iirc ew have a google doc for this that you're an admin on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Last time I asked about the Google stuff, I was told maybe later.

I only ask a couple time, and then I find a way to work around the roadblock, and this had hit my threshhold..

But I will look to put the Sheet for the Dust Collector and Tool storage up there to start with, then start moving the tool list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 pm 
Global Moderator

Well, I can tell I never used Google Docs before...

I shared it out to the TCmaker Email and will add anybody who wants to see it.

This is two options for the dust collection system for the existing Jet Dust collector.

one other option that is almost as cheap, is to by a separate 4 gallon Shop vac for each station and and adapter. Just more logistics.