Workbenches

What things would you use at the maker shop?
pyrodogg
Site Admin

Workbenches

Postby pyrodogg » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Just a recommendation on workbench designs in the event you guys need to build out some of your own.

I recommend the plans Bre Pettis put out in the first Make: Weekend Projects podcast back in 2006

Supply list:
1 sheet of 1/2" plywood, standard 4'x8'.
6 2x4s 8' long
40 2 1/2" screws
40 1" screws

The size of things:
Cut the plywood lengthwise into three pieces of 30", 12", and 6", all 8' long..
Leave 2 of the 2x4s 8'.
Cut 2 of the 2x4s to be 4 pieces that are 40"-ish long. If you are taller make them longer. If you are shorter, make them shorter so that the workbench fits you perfectly!
Cut 1 of the 2x4s into 4 sections of 2' each.
With the last 2x4, cut 9" off the end so it will fit as a cross brace across the bottom.

Tools needed:
Saw
Drill
Right-angle ruler thing
Tape measure

Instructions: Put it all together! First cut all the lumber to length as suggested above. Then, I recommend starting upside-down by putting the top face-down and then build the frame that supports the top using the two 8' 2x4s and two 2' 2x4s. Then screw them together at the corners. Add the legs and the 2' support bracing. With the legs screwed on, you can turn it over and add the lower shelf and vertical back edge which adds stability. You're all done! If you are feeling fancy, take it outside and put a protective coating on it to make it shine!

The design makes a nice sturdy bench 8' long, 2.5' deep and ~40" tall with little wasted material. I halved the design to 4' wide and made one for my living room.

Any wood workers have suggestions for sturdy bench designs?

darus67

Re: Workbenches

Postby darus67 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 am

Someone was suggesting we have a workbench building party at the shop.
Looks like these could be built for $25 or $30 each.
Could be nifty.

uptownmaker

Postby uptownmaker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:53 am

If nobody is TOO picky about the surfaces, I can bring in some cabinet doors that could be ganged to provide a work surface.

metis

Postby metis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:28 pm

we've got a sheet of cdx ply there that's pretty good, and a few other bits, i'm not keen on that particular design as it's using 2x4's to span more than 4', which is the point they stop being really burly, and start deflecting under loads (as horizontal members) but from discussions at the factory on wed, folks liked the idea of 24x48" work tables at shop tool and work bench heights, with 2 wheels on one end. found my notes for these from way back when, generating a cut list from them this weekend, and pricing out lumber/looking for deals/sponsorships

the thought being that we'll build out a proper bench for a miter saw when we get one, and multiple tables can be combined into a longer or wider one for bigger projects with less wood waste. 30" is tempting but then they don't nest as nicely when combined at right angles.

mike how wide are the cabinet doors, and how wide are those metal shelves? they might make good lower level storage. i'm a big fan of flat top surfaces and iirc those cabinet's have surface millwork.

metis

Postby metis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:32 pm

plan is to build em next wed. over meeting time. we could use an extra circ saw, a few drill/drivers, speed and framing squares. (i've got one of each)

also is anyone has 2-1/2" decking screws kicking about left over from a project that'll be a help, as well as 1-5/8" decking or drywall screws for attaching shelves.

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:40 pm

I can bring a circ saw, square, level & screwgun. dont have many 2.5 screws though. EDIT - crud, I cant be there til after 8.

Also may pick up some non swiveling wheels from ax man. I got 2 HD ones for the welding bench last week. they had smaller ones that would do the trick nicely.
Last edited by swinkdaddy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have kilt, will travel...

meat_raffle

Postby meat_raffle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:44 pm

I do like the narrower lower shelf. Especially if we get stools to sit on while working at the benches.
And I think instead of investing in a set of wheels for each bench we would be better off buying a pallet jack to move them around.
I've seen them on Craigslist for <$75.

I probably have plenty of 1.25" and 2.5" drywall screws laying around.
-mark-

darus67

Postby darus67 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:19 pm

I propose that before we start building benches we build a couple pair of sawhorses.

darus67

Postby darus67 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Oh, and I have a cordless drill/driver and a cordless mini circular saw I can bring.
Both have brand new batteries, so they should be fairly beefy.
Gotta remember to charge 'em up tho.

darus67

Postby darus67 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Do we have a broom & dustpan and/or a shop vac?

Return to “Uses/Equipment”