Site Logo

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Viewing Movies
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:13 pm 

two seperate thigns that i'm gonna co-mingle

movies in the space. yes we shoudl have this *technology* so that we can learn things, and occasionally have an offtopic evening event. however the ability to go hang out there and crack a brew while watching thin red line in HD is NOT the stated purpose we all came together for. sure a cave would be fun, but it's not "to make share and learn"
now, doing something like watching an episode of MST3K and talking about props building, or hosting a local movie that someone did the SFX for is another. while i really like the idea of folks being able to "hang out" in the lounge area, IT'S A SHOP and things age gonna go *BANG* and *GRRR* and *VroOOOoooCLACKITYtinktinkWHAM*

remember our mission statement is to create a community, and one of the key aspects of community is a home, in our case a facility to make share and learn, and we'll need to be respectful of each other in how krista's need to hammer metal may interact with pat's need hear "hee hee hee" to make an elmo toy work as a sampler.

part of this can be accomplished via space planning and acoustic treatment. i.e. should we get the classroom, as can do a lot to isolate it from teh shop, so that hammer and anvil things can be happening while someone is watching citizen cane or teaching a class on electronics or programming. maybe we put in a noise cancellation system using a few suspended shotgun mics a processor and some speakers set to infill out of phase behind the acoustic barrier. maybe we get a bunch of runway intercom headsets.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:24 pm 

metis wrote:
two seperate thigns that i'm gonna co-mingle

movies in the space. yes we shoudl have this *technology* so that we can learn things, and occasionally have an offtopic evening event. however the ability to go hang out there and crack a brew while watching thin red line in HD is NOT the stated purpose we all came together for. sure a cave would be fun, but it's not "to make share and learn"
now, doing something like watching an episode of MST3K and talking about props building, or hosting a local movie that someone did the SFX for is another. while i really like the idea of folks being able to "hang out" in the lounge area, IT'S A SHOP and things age gonna go *BANG* and *GRRR* and *VroOOOoooCLACKITYtinktinkWHAM*

remember our mission statement is to create a community, and one of the key aspects of community is a home, in our case a facility to make share and learn, and we'll need to be respectful of each other in how krista's need to hammer metal may interact with pat's need hear "hee hee hee" to make an elmo toy work as a sampler.

part of this can be accomplished via space planning and acoustic treatment. i.e. should we get the classroom, as can do a lot to isolate it from teh shop, so that hammer and anvil things can be happening while someone is watching citizen cane or teaching a class on electronics or programming. maybe we put in a noise cancellation system using a few suspended shotgun mics a processor and some speakers set to infill out of phase behind the acoustic barrier. maybe we get a bunch of runway intercom headsets.

Perfectly said (typed). I can agree with this wholeheartedly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:00 pm 
Global Moderator

Building a sound cancellation system sounds like more fun than the benefits of having one.