Site Logo

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sharpening Station / Tool maintenance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:52 pm 
Global Moderator

To pull this topic off the other thread and start here.

Several of us have mentioned this over the time I have been a member, and most know that tool maintenance is key to having top quality work and safety.

I had pulled a 6 foot section of laminate counter top and had been intending to create a electrical bench (not electronics, but simple stuff) and then as we expanded and I had to do some work with our tools, I was reminded of how much time my old shop teacher preached about tool maintenance and safety.
(I expect to chop the counter top down to a smaller size, but that is open, and I would like to have it at sitting height, not bench height, but that is also open)

So here were my thoughts.

Basics: A place set up to sharpen tools, and perform basic maintenance on the portable ones.
To start with a simple diamond sharpening stone (Harbor Freight $10), some steel wool, some mineral oil (or your favorite type) a paper towel dispenser and a lamp.
I have also bought a tool shop low end grinder that i will offer up, though we will want to change out the stones, and it does have the flexi-wand.

Next
Drill bit sharpening tool
More advanced sharpening stones / paddles / blocks to suit the round, smaller, odd shaped stuff.
Print out and laminate guides to sharpening tools, just in case somebody questions what to do ( or whatever the reason)

So what am I missing (besides a magnifying glass for myself)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:06 pm 

Excellent. I've got a lamp that I can bring in for starters, it used to be my bedside lamp, with a flexible gooseneck stand and a small incandescent bulb. I also commandeered a small piece of granite from the samples in the art room downstairs, and I picked up a few other bits and bobs.

I also picked up a cheap drill bit sharpener at a garage sale. It is intended to be attached to a corded power drill to spin the stone. That box was $3 and actually included two of the devices. Now, this is only a temporary fix. Those are a low-end version, and poor substitue for something like a drill doctor set-up, but it is probably better than nothing.

Given your suggestions, Booka, I think a good place for the station might be in or in front of the shop office. I suggest there because I prefer water stones for sharpening, and there is a water tap there, I think. We can either of us talk to John and/or Tony, but I'm sure this is a desirable piece of the Hack Factory puzzle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Sharpening Station / Tool maintenance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:18 pm 
Global Moderator

Good, I will dig out the counter top and get it down there with some two by fours to build a base as well as the grinder and stone I have now. As of now (subject to change) I have Tuesday free, so I will most likely bring it down in the morning and we can see what / how things look, and give others a chance to make suggestions based on what is there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:19 pm 

Cool,

I have a grinder I keep put away that I use just for sharpening lathe tools, this sounds like the perfect home for it. I bought a nice white (Silica maybe) stone on it for this purpose and it works quite well. I have a grinding wheel dresser for it as well. It's not a slow or wet grinder, but would be great for general sharpening.

Someday I'd like to get one of these.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Grinder-Sharpener/T10097

Let me know if the bench moves elsewhere.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:46 pm 

I've got a grinder I'm willing to donate to make it a variable speed wet/dry grinder. I love making tools and making existing tools better.

Also, anyone willing to show a novice how to sharpen knives on a grinder? I ruined a throwing knife trying to teach myself sharpening. No big loss as the throwing knife had been messed up by me trying to learn throwing knives.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:27 pm 

Be nice if someone could show me how use a wet stone properly. Any ideas about drill bit sharpeners? I have an old one at home but honestly it's not very good :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 pm 

Once we get a station up and running, I think a sharpening class is almost certainly going to happen. In the mean time, catch me at the shop some time. And I'll cover the basics with you.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:02 pm 
Global Moderator

I brought in a counter top, but let other distractions lead me away from bringing in the 2by4's to build the bench. I will see if I can get to it next week, between the other distractions I get to deal with.

Brad