Site Logo

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Beagleboard or Pandaboard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Was wondering if anybody had a beagle board of pandaboard, I wanted to mess around with one, if you hav one and are willing to lend it for a week or two I would be happy to take you up on the offer, that said if nobody speaks up I might be in the market for one, I'll post here if I pick one up.

http://hackaday.com/2011/02/01/what-development-board-to-use/

Post subject: Re: Beagleboard or Pandaboard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:41 pm 

Both are pretty awesome, but if you wanna run Linux on one, canonical is building their automated build environment on the pandas. A member of the Dallas makerspace was the one heading up arm development with canonical, so those boards will be supported first and foremost. Lemme know if you wanna go in on a group buy. I'm down for one of either, or both.

edit 20110727: Here's an overview of the build environment: http://dallasmakerspace.org/blog/2011/0 ... dabuilder/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

I've only used a Beagle for my senior design project at the U but that was at least 2 revisions of the board ago. Haven't looked at either option enough since then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

What did you do?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

I think our advisers were a little ambitious because they wanted us to start with something like a CMOS image sensor and build a wireless enabled camera out of that. In a semester, from scratch to completed prototype.

Our project was to build an camera that could interface with either local wireless networks or a cellular data network. It was to be positioned in a stainless steel cylinder at boat launches across the state to monitor if boaters were following proper protocol in regards to invasive species. We were working with a private business but I cant even find the website anymore, might have gone under.

We removed every once of hardware engineering from the project and just hooked up a logitech webcam to a beagleboard running an embedded linux distro. The beagleboard pulled and recorded the video and then just compressed and transferred it to my laptop (our server) for the demos.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 pm 

pyrodogg wrote:
Our project was to build an camera that could interface with either local wireless networks or a cellular data network. It was to be positioned in a stainless steel cylinder at boat launches across the state to monitor if boaters were following proper protocol in regards to invasive species. We were working with a private business but I cant even find the website anymore, might have gone under.

web cameras at any boat launch would be a good thing. if nothing else, for comic relief.

nearly everytime i go there, there's something worth posting on youtube. saw a truck had gone too far and sink up to the roof (i have photos but not digital). i talked to the truck owner. i asked what happened. he said that he had it in rear wheel drive and the truck just kept slipping down the ramp. there was weeds all over the ramp so that made it slick. he said it was his first time out on a jetski. he wanted to go alone without his friends in case he did something stupid. the guy called a friend from Chief's towing to help him out. his buddy then calls ALL of his friends. a caravan of about 5 cars and a flat bed showed up. they towed the truck out. the guy opened the door and a sunny fell out. everyone was doubled-over. the truck owner took it in stride. i took photos, got his address and sent him prints.

another time saw huge oil slick in the water. i was putting in my jetski and was wondering where the oil came from. a fisherman on the dock told me that someone with a jeep grand cherokee was launching his boat, forgot to put it in park and locked himself out of the car. the jeep started rolling down the ramp. the driver broke the window to get in but it was too late. it sank. the water to pour through the window. the jeep was still in the parking lot. the interior was full of milfoil.