Site Logo

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OpenStreetMap Mapping Party?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:07 pm 

Hi TC Maker!

My name is Ian and I'm thinking about setting up a OpenStreetMap Mapping Party in the Twin Cities area. If you are unfamiliar with OpenStreetMap, I invite you to check out the website. In short, it's a free wiki map of the world. Anyone can edit the map by adding or changing roads, points of interest and more. A mapping party is a local gathering where a bunch of people that know a particular area get together and map a certain area. In some cases this involves carrying around a GPS unit, pen and paper to note what you see around you. This data is then brought back together and entered into the system. Afterwards, copious amounts of celebrating and hanging out occur.

I'm wondering if any TC Maker members would be interested in being part of this. If you're interested, please feel free to reply to this post. I'm also interested in hearing about any other organizations in the area that might be interested in participating.

Thanks!
Ian

Post subject: Re: OpenStreetMap Mapping Party?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:55 am 

Hi, Ian-

We might well have some folks that are interested in this.

What I'd suggest is this: pick a Wednesday night and prepare a short presentation on it. Maybe even a brief around-the-hood demo excursion. Come in, do it, see what interest crops up.

TCMaker is structured as a "do-ocracy": if you want to see it happen, do it. Look at the calendar, pick a Wednesday (if you're a fully-paid member and have access outside of Wednesday nights, pick any time you want)(or, if you find a willing paid member co-sponsor) and schedule the event. We (the exec board) will put it on the calendar for you and put the word out in the semi-weekly mailing. Beyond that, you can come to meetings and talk it up, post signs, whatever. The only thing we ask for group meetings like this is that you shill mildly to get attendees to buy some refreshments from our fridge and/or drop a little cash into the donation box to help keep the doors open.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:40 pm 

Hi again TC Makers,

I booked a room at the Walker Community Library this coming Saturday, June 12th at 2pm for a mapping party.

I would be interested in coming in this coming Wednesday for TC Maker's open house to give a short demo (and try to convince everyone to come on Saturday :)). How many people usually end up showing up on Wednesday?

Thanks!
Ian Dees
http://mapminnesota.org/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:19 am 

it varies, but recent body counts have been in the 20-30 range if you include everyone who wanders through, at anyone time there are probably 15ish folks kicking about.