Site Logo

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brainstorming Wall finishing/painting system
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:22 pm 

Now that Bessie is done for this year I'm on to my next projects.

I'll be working on a plastics tool kit for Bessie II. But my main thrust will be the beginnings of my series of construction assistant robots.

I'd like to start with a Wall finisher.
Think of it as a giant vertical printer.

Here is how is what I'd like it to do.
Apply a skim coat to a wall.
Paint the wall.
Be able to put a mural on the wall.
Perhaps frescoes.

Now there are systems that exists that do some of this. One very good one will also clean and prep exterior walls. That system works at 8 dpi. There are also of course systems to produce billboards that probably could be adapted.

What I'd like is for some input from the group while I'm still in the early development stage.
I can see right now the edges and corners will be a concern. Also remember that walls tend to be almost square not really square.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Brainstorming Wall finishing/painting system
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Did you get the emails with related Internet URLs that I already sent ya?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:57 am 

wammie wrote:

This sounds interesting. Please share the URLs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:29 am 
Site Admin

meat_raffle wrote:
wammie wrote:

This sounds interesting. Please share the URLs!
OK, here they are:

Also, after getting drawn into the looking glass of Instructables.com, I found a few DIY plotters and CNC machine schemes which can be adapted to this purpose.

I think the biggest problem is the skim coating process. There would be a sanding process, no? Lots of dust for movable parts to endure. I really haven't done skim coating aside from small patch areas, but doesn't the plaster require inspection, watering, stirring, etc. to maintain uniform consistency and application?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:10 pm 

I will be up north again this weekend, so I won't be on the forum 'til Sunday.

I was thinking a bit. I wonder if instead of an ink jet/spray system something like a dot matrix or daisy wheel would be better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:32 am 

It is beginning to look like the painting part of the system will be the easiest.

If you think about what is involved in plastering a wall, it soon becomes apparent that there are multiple simultaneous actions involved, with the least controllable material. Boundary conditions offer unique challenges. Getting the correct amount of material to a three way corner at the ceiling for example. Not forgetting that the material also has a working time factor.

In thinking all this through, I've pretty much decided that the basic frame will have to have the ability to handle multiple tool platforms. Perhaps that could be avoided I'll think some more on it and as I move to experimentation it will become clearer. but for now that will be my working assumption. While this adds a huge level of complexity, it could actually force a more modular design and increase the actual working speed of the finished project.

Material transport is an issue. Pumping plaster some significant distance is not only difficult it is wasteful. The amount of plaster or paint that is under transport at any time would equal a significant portion of the actual material applied to the whole wall and would be wasted at completion. At the same time having the tool platform carrying its material add a significant amount of weight and introduces the the possibility of inconsistent batches. Again here the possibility of multiple tool platforms could help as one of them could be a supply tool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:39 pm 

Well damn. I have been mentioning this project to a couple of people and since all my work comes from word of mouth it seems to have percolated through my customer base. Over the weekend I got five calls from customers inquiring about the project and possible work.

I was working from the beginning to end. That is prep the wall, plaster the wall, paint the wall and then apply detail/mural. It however now seems that money issues (the fact that I want some) is going to flip this around.

So I'll now be working on dot density, halftone grids and all of that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, pent up demand already! Hey, did you get any useful information from the hyperlinks? Do you need any help at this point from other TC Makers?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:05 pm 

wammie wrote:
Wow, pent up demand already! Hey, did you get any useful information from the hyperlinks? Do you need any help at this point from other TC Makers?

To be honest the links were of little value. By the by the most current high tech mural system is a retake of the old wallpaper murals. A large format printer is used to print a wall sized piece of paper that is conventionally applied.

Yes I will soon need lots of help. For example piezo deformation is used to create the ink jet in inkjet printing. If I go that route people more knowledgeable then me in the group could be of immense help.

I really hope that the creation of the prototyper will also help me avoid some real blind alleys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Great Judeling, thanks for the quick reply here!

I'd be willing to help with documentation if you're strapped for time to do that. The documentation can be done here or on the wiki. The benefit of the wiki is the ability to see revision history, though if you don't think that's necessary then this forum thread would be fine as well.