Site Logo

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Converting phone lines to ethernet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:08 pm 

I'm in the process of replacing the jacks on our cat 5e phones lines to set up a wired network in our house. It's fairly simple, just 2 jacks in the basement and 1 upstairs. The 2 basement jacks were easy to identify, they were the last 2 on the strip, and were different cable because they were run when we finished the basement.

Does anyone know of a good way to identify which cable running into the strip in the basement belongs to the room upstairs? My only idea is to disconnect them one at a time, until I get no dial tone on a phone plugged in up there, but then I have to put them back onto the strip, which I'm not sure if it'll require a special tool or not.

Post subject: Re: Converting phone lines to ethernet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:02 am 

http://xkcd.com/454/

You could measure the voltage on the line, then hook up a phone upstairs, take the receiver off the hook and measure the voltage again. You should see a sizable DC dip in the voltage on the line with the phone plugged into it (an old-school phone, not a new one with its own power supply).

Phone lines provide something like 50V DC, but with a high enough output impedance that you should start to see it dip when you have a phone plugged in and drawing a fair amount of current (i.e., off hook). Not sure if they are all bussed common so you'll see the dip on all the lines or not, however.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:40 pm 

yea, they're all parallel on the base bus strip. So I guess I'll just start disconnecting them... boo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:00 pm 

2nd blue wire I pulled was the right one! Thanks to cordless phones so I didn't have to go up and down 2 flights of stairs to check for the dial-tone. Oh, shame on me for assuming the pair of orange wires next to the correct blue ones belonged to the same cable... Not bad, I only had to put 3 wires back into the bus. All of our phones go through the same wireless base, and that still works, yay.

Wired infrastructure is all in place: Tomatofied router (thanks adam for the tweet about installing tomato at work, I read it right at my peak of frustration with openWRT), 2 5-port switches, and the old wireless router set in access point mode. Now I'm just waiting on my order of patch cables so I can hook everything up.

Code:
QTY       PartNumber       Product       Price      Ext. Price
10    109-308    Belkin Cat 5e 7 ft. Gray Patch Cable Snagless    $0.98    $9.80
5    109-353    Belkin Fast Cat 5e 3 ft. Black Patch Cable Snagless    $0.88    $4.40
1    109-468    Belkin Cat 6 14 ft. Black Patch Cable Snagless    $3.78    $3.78
1    109-521    Belkin Cat 6 50 ft. Black Patch Cable Snagless    $6.18    $6.18
1       FedEx Home Delivery    $9.99    $9.99

all these cables for $24, I LOVE PARTS EXPRESS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:38 am 

They make a tone generator for such a thing. Essentially you clip on the little generator, then you take the other end up to the panel that terminates the cable and move it until you find the correct pair. I know you figured it out, but for future projects:

http://www.datacomtools.com/images3/gre ... e/701K.jpg