Site Admin

Re: So...what are you working on?

Postby orion » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:46 am

a private cloud grid.

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:11 am

orion wrote:a private cloud grid.

Wait, is this something you're actually working on, or just want to?

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:15 am

yes and no. currently its limited to 2 nodes, yes it works but not really a "cloud" yet.

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 am

So it's a server with failover and/or load balancing?

DanBackslide

Postby DanBackslide » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Trying to resurrect an RCA 96T1 tabletop radio (the pic's not mine, just one I found via google). What I was hoping would be a quick job has turned into the painstaking removal and replacement of half the components...
73 de KC0DZY

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Dan, here is the only shot I have of the radio I was telling you about on Sunday. A US Army Signal Corp BC-348-N that has been converted to AC by may grandfather.
Sorry The shot was for the stop motion animation characters I made on "top" of the radio.
Have kilt, will travel...

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my primary desktop PC. I've built my own PCs and I'll be doing the same on this upgrade, I imagine. I'm going to see what can be done for about $1000. I can perhaps use the same case, a mid-tower. Or, I'd go for a bare bones package and add my custom-selected components. I'm looking for good performance for multi-media, with a powerful but probably not exotic (water-cooled, etc.) video card to drive my 1920x1200 LCD display. I have in the past bought from places like Newegg and TigerDirect, but if my local Micro Center has acceptable components, I'll buy from them.

Another project: I'll need someone who has a spare computer with an open IDE slot to test an external hard drive of mine which seems to have gone belly up. The problem may lie in the enclosure electronics though. At present I don't have a spare slot or other hard drives to test the drive or enclosure.

A third project: My wife has an old HP laptop in working order, but with a flaky power jack (common ailment among laptops). I'll need to open the unit and inspect the internal jack, replacing it if necessary.

If anyone has suggestions or helpful tips, please let me know. Thanks!

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:40 pm

wammie wrote:I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my primary desktop PC. I've built my own PCs and I'll be doing the same on this upgrade, I imagine. I'm going to see what can be done for about $1000. I can perhaps use the same case, a mid-tower. Or, I'd go for a bare bones package and add my custom-selected components. I'm looking for good performance for multi-media, with a powerful but probably not exotic (water-cooled, etc.) video card to drive my 1920x1200 LCD display. I have in the past bought from places like Newegg and TigerDirect, but if my local Micro Center has acceptable components, I'll buy from them.

Another project: I'll need someone who has a spare computer with an open IDE slot to test an external hard drive of mine which seems to have gone belly up. The problem may lie in the enclosure electronics though. At present I don't have a spare slot or other hard drives to test the drive or enclosure.

A third project: My wife has an old HP laptop in working order, but with a flaky power jack (common ailment among laptops). I'll need to open the unit and inspect the internal jack, replacing it if necessary.

If anyone has suggestions or helpful tips, please let me know. Thanks!

project 1 i use newegg and 1000 will get you some nice parts.
project 2 if you bring the drive on wed for the social meeting ill bring my adapter and can tell you if its bad.
project 3 tried doing it myself only to discover that most laptop powersupplys contain a signaling chip to tell the laptop its genuine. depending on how old it is it might not but 05 and newer i can almost guarantee it.

Theo

Postby Theo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:57 pm

orion wrote:project 1 i use newegg and 1000 will get you some nice parts.

Seconded. Also, I've done this sort of thing a lot & would enjoy helping, if you're looking for help.

Return to “Local Maker Projects”