BEER!

Off topic discussion
metis

BEER!

Postby metis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:14 am

*today's* groupon is for about half off a home brewing starters kit from midwest homebrewing, and i know a bunch of folks have asked me about getting started in brewing.

whille i'm a big advocate of finding and making brewing gear yourself, a hydrometer and bottle brush are a bit beyond most folks. if you've ever pondered homebrewing, this is a really slick deal. for reference each batch will yield a bit over 2 cases of beer.

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Re: BEER!

Postby pyrodogg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Say I have nothing and am interested in brewing cider primarily with beer being more on the side.

Is this still a good deal to pick up the equipment (which I'm assuming can be used to brew lots of stuff) with some beer recipes on the side?

metis

Postby metis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:56 am

i think it's too late now, but yes. the primary gear is all the same. you'll want fermenters, bottle brush, hydrometer, etc.

you can put together a decent little kit yourself but it'll be easier with a brewing buddy to walk you through which bits you need and what you can get away without.

you *can* brew successfully with found/salvaged/reused stuff, but you'll have more luck if you do things like use a hydrometer to measure sugars and new caps on glass bottles for carbonation.

pyrodogg
Site Admin

Postby pyrodogg » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Yea, I did miss it. I was thinking of buyig it whether you replied or not but I went back into work last night and was actually there till 12 and forgot about the deal.

There is a brewing group local to Bismarck, I need to get in touch with them.

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:45 pm

I did not see the Groupon, and while not a local source, I did chip in to buy this for a past boss.

It was more complete than most. http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/ ... oduct.html

They also have a $40 Starter kit, but this was the one that the work brew club suggested.

Return to “Off Topic”