Wanted: Old fax machine

Off topic discussion
jmengel

Wanted: Old fax machine

Postby jmengel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Looking for an old fax machine, the kind that takes rolls of thermally sensitive paper or the kind that uses plain paper but needs a roll of thermal transfer ink. Unit will be subject to a non manufacturer-approved experiment that may limit its future usefulness should the experiment fail. Anyone tripped over one of these in their basement lately?

-Jon

paulsobczak
Site Admin

Re: Wanted: Old fax machine

Postby paulsobczak » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Are you looking at doing something like this?

http://www.theuser.org/dotmatrix/projin ... index.html

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:03 pm

I might be able to get an old fax machine from work. I think it might be single sheet, though. Not a roll.

jmengel

Postby jmengel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 am

The thermal print head is the key component in my experiment so only a thermal fax will work, and these use rolls of specially treated paper to print to (like many receipt printers) that change to black when heated or use a roll of thermally transferred ink to print on plain paper. If you run your fingernail quickly over the paper it will leave a black line. Newer faxes use inkjet or laser toner type technologies and would not work for me.

I do not have an office machine orchestra in mind, although that is an interesting link. Maybe a Imagewriter II quartet. Thanks!

Return to “Off Topic”