Site Logo

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Funds for capital equipment (laser cutter, etc)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:05 pm 

uptownmaker wrote:
This, of course, is only PART of what the Hack Factory is about- I don't really consider my $50 a rental fee for workspace and tools. I consider it a monthly donation to fund an organization that gives me a place to make, share, and learn. If I spent $50 a month on tools, I could have a pretty decent garage full in a year or two. I'd still be working, alone, in my garage, limited by my own skills and with nobody to show off too (except the cold, cold intertubes).

Absolutely, and if my wife had no say in our monthly budget I'd be a member already.

I've been chittering at her about saving up for a laser CNC myself, and proposing places in the house for it.

But for some reason supporting local makers is less compelling to her than never having to worry about me proposing smoke and dust ventilation through the kitchen ever again. =)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:29 pm 

I know two others who would be interested in joining up if we had a LC. Maybe we could do another raffle and get two? We already raised 160 in one day... so we would just need 188 days to raise enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm 

as stated repeatedly, i concur with booka, but i also feel that a printer is a more flexible option than a cutter/etcher.

a printer allows cnc fabrication in 3d in *any* material via casting and may be even cheaper in terms of getting a used printer. metering is not an issue as the machine and it's software tells you how much you're consuming. easy.

in an ideal world, we have both.

i'd be very willing to teach a course on dealing with 3d printing, and intro to CAD.

there are things like a simple mill that would REALLY improve the capabilities of the shop and will be a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:02 pm 
Global Moderator

Agreed, a basic CNC mill would allow for some of the stuff a laser would (I still want a laser, of course, but maybe this fall)

I do know having the big toys can help membership and I think the Raffle or alternative source for funding is a great way to do that. It does not risk monthly facilitates funding, and works to promote the group.

The Current Raffle, is really a much better gamble than anything else, members get access to machine either way, and you have a 1 in 300 chance or better that you will have one for home (or to donate to the HF, if you do not want to store it at home)

I think I have sent 15 emails to friends and others outside our area, telling them they should enter... and the Make Post should also help too. Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:48 pm 

the other thing about anchor tools is they'll get folks in for a month or two, but they're not communty drivers. i.e. sure it's cool to see what someone can etch, or model, but really, you program it, and then it does it's thing, and the modeling is pretty solitary on the computer, and the printing/zapping isn't much of a participatory process. yes it's VERY fun to watch, but i'd rather chat with john while he rebuilds the lathe, or brandon while i file some lockpicks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:28 am 

But I don't think it can hurt, and if a big ticket item just drives membership and not community - I would be fine w/ that for the time being. I think the community aspect is going to take care of itself, if it hasn't already; as evident by the friendships generated thusfar.

Also, I'm beginning to think that w/ the publicity we received from the Makerbot raffle if we couldn't do one for a lasercutter in a couple months.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:44 am 

well, a laser cutter is a MUCH bigger ticket item, and what would the raffle winner get? i don't disagree that folks will come in for an anchor tool, but my concern is that if we're not growing organically and our membership is that much cheaper (or even on par with) than getting something custom etched or printed folks will join for month, print their widget and leave. it'll bring some folks who'll stay, but it'll also bring in folks who aren't interested in the community, which is our mission statement. we're not a hire shop and it would be mission creep to do that intentionally.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:52 am 

Well, shoot, then we better start screening our current membership roster and root out anyone who may not be interested in the community aspect... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:08 am 

idris_arslanian wrote:
Well, shoot, then we better start screening our current membership roster and root out anyone who may not be interested in the community aspect... :roll:

Wait! Don't kick me out! I may not have made it down to the space for a month and a half or more, but I've continued to pay my dues!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:13 am 
Global Moderator

Yeah I don't think being part of the community is required, it takes all kinds.

Also, it's already getting to a point where we are developing multiple separate interest oriented communities.

Three could be a community that forms just around the laser cutter.