Site Logo

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Donations of Tools and Other Equipment
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:44 am 
Global Moderator

Per a conversation last week, we are looking for basic tools, advanced tools and other equipment (Storage, Benches, Certain Electronics, etc.)

If you know of anybody that may be willing to Donate we will work with them to try to pick up donations as best we can.

If we end up with too many duplicate items, the ones that have the best use for our needs will be kept, but others may be leveraged to get other tools, supplies.

Right now we need almost any hand tool, and most power tools. As well as a couple LCD monitors, storage (Shelves, Cabinets, Lockers)

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Donations of Tools and Other Equipment
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:33 pm 

My cousin has a Radial Arm Saw to donate, but was wondering about tax deductions. When are we getting Non-Profit status?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:29 pm 

When your governing board get their poop in a group.

The by-laws are currently out at a pro-bono legal resource (fast, cheap, right: pick two (we already picked cheap)) being reviewed. Once those are done, there's a 30-ish page app that needs to be filled out, then the IRS has to review it and give us the thumbs up. You can about guess when that will happen (not before April 15) and it takes some weeks to get that done.

There's an $850 filing fee, UNLESS we wait until sometime "in 2010" when the Cyber Assistant comes online and the filing fee drops to $200. Alternatively, we could operate "under" another organization (Fractured Atlas or Springboard) for the time being.

Of course, if we BECOME 501c3 during our fiscal year, all contributions during that year are retroactively tax-deductible. Our fiscal year is Jan 1 to Dec 31.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:12 pm 

I am not a member yet, but have a wood lathe that could use a good home.

Any thoughts on doing "free x months of dues" per each $50 worth of tool donations?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 pm 

laserdog wrote:
Any thoughts on doing "free x months of dues" per each $50 worth of tool donations?

The governing board can set something up about that- we make decisions ad hoc on that sort of thing. Send an e-mail to twincitiesmaker at gmail and we'll try to find a balance- we want to get every member we can.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 pm 

as development coordinator donations for dues kinda falls under my pervue, but not exclusively, as we do want to get folks in and using the space.

because it's difficult to really value used tool donations, and we've been given a lot of varied things, i don't want to give the impression that any donation is worth dues in a 1:1 ratio.

i have stated on a few occasions that major donations (in the several thousand dollar range) of tools could be eligible for lifetime membership, or as a tool loan for membership as long as the gear is on loan. i.e. if you don't use your well kitted out garage shop while you're in florida for the winter, but want to be able to use it in the summer, and dont' want it to go to waste, we should talk.