Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: How should we approach the membership fees
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

For people that can donate good, working order tools and equipment, maybe donations of this sort could be applied toward membership? There would have to clearly established guidelines, of course, since this might bring some negotiation issues concerning valuation. One way to approach it might be something like: "hey, we'd like to have an industrial drill press... anyone providing one will be given one month of membership."

This might lead to a point based or token system, where contributions to the workshop operation of various sorts, be it labor, intellectual capital, research, or cleaning, could all be applied to one's point accumulation and membership privileges.

Whatever system is decided, I like the idea of members being able to gain usage rights besides payment of monetary dues. Something to think about...

I am also in favor of the "founding member" concept, where individuals able to source significant startup funding/equipment would be offered lifetime membership or other type of special privilege.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 am 

we need to be careful how we set this up. if *everyone* who had an extra tool gave it to the group we may well end up with 50 corded drills and no drill press. once we get a space, and further define our tool needs adn wants, then we can seriously solicit gear donations. the fairest way to do this is probably a direct purchase value discount on fees. i.e. you donate a NIB 6000$ machine tool, you get ~6K off whatever fee but if you donate an old framing hammer you might get 5$ off, IF we need that tool. i.e. say we decide we want 3 circular saws. a nice one and 2 beaters. the nicest 3 that are donated, are the folks who get credit, others are uncredited. we also need to look at gifts in kind, i.e. skilled and unskilled labor in setting things up. i believe i covered this earlier in this (or another) thread

while i like the idea personally of getting to call myself a founding member, i'm worried that this will create a tier of membership sort of thing. i.e. oh you're just a monthly member, but i'm a founding lifetime member ...

also determining the paying for a lifetime membership will really depend on how our funding setup will work, i.e. until we know how we're really going to operate, and what expenses are we can't accurately say that 3 or 5 years worth of dues will buy you that in a fiscally responsible manner for the group. my suspicion is that after a year or two of having a space anyone who's maintained constant membership could apply their funds to that point towards a lifetime membership. imho lifetime meberships should really go into an endowment sort of fund whereby the proceeds from that can be drawn to pay for the operational costs associated with individual members, rather than into operational budgets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:20 am 

I think we need a more a la carte approach to pricing. I like the idea of a space to share and learn, but realistically I will not need the group tools until we get some serious gear (laser cutters, SLA, CNC, etc) and then only a few times per year. I would be glad to pay $100 per year for a membership that gets me in the door, and then hourly on major tools and per piece on materials/consumables as needed. I envision the basics being included in the base fee, such as hand tools, soldering irons, scrap metal, etc. But I think trying to average the costs of procuring and maintaining big ticket items across all users with a flat membership fee will turn people off after not using the CNC mill for a whole year or waiting while someone spends a month machining a chess set.

-Jon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 pm 

my understanding of the vague plan was that base fee got you in the door and basic tools, but that anything dangerous or special would require a nominal training course, the funds of which would go to maintain the consumables on that item.

i.e. 50$? 100$? for a 4? hour basics class on a lathe covers repair and replacement of the cutting tools associated with it and power and the like, and you can then use that tool whenever you want.
the basic "power tools" class fee would go to things like drill bits, saw blades, and the like.

your 200$? a year membership would cover utility costs, new soldering iron heads, new hand saws, sewign machine needles, and the like that we as a group decide that anyone can use without significant risk to themselves, others, or a more than nominally priced tool, but you'd have access to the space, and things like clamps, and hand tools.