Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Other Ways to Raise Money
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:01 pm 

My Ideas
  • Hit up the home-schooling crowd (I know a lot of these people). We have a co-op that pays for instructors to teach some classes. As I suspect that the place will be less busy during weekdays, there might be an option to bring in groups for projects on a fixed fee (time and materials) basis. Look into setting up a booth at a MACHE conference (Mn Association of Christian Home Educators) Link
  • I think that opening classes to non-members would be great. They would, of course, pay more.
  • Member should be charged a token fee for classes (and materials, of course). With a little "skin in the game", people are less likely to miss classes for which they registered.
  • On-Line Store - teach the class, sell the goods. Keep selling the goods on-line. This is a hard sell though, when you are competing against the entire world.

Post subject: Re: Other Ways to Raise Money
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:50 pm 
Global Moderator

The NYC Resistor peeps seem to be producing various items for sale (I got a Tinysaur for xmas), maybe an effort could be made in that direction for general fund raising.

Also instead of requiring full membership you could offer hourly rates for equipment usage, I know some rocketeers that may bite at access to a CnC or laser cutter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 am 

grants. grants. grants.

if we're a not for profit we can take contributions from businesses, be it demo tools from homedespot, or excess electronic bits from hutch tech, or $$ from 3M.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

metis wrote:
grants. grants. grants.

if we're a not for profit we can take contributions from businesses, be it demo tools from homedespot, or excess electronic bits from hutch tech, or $$ from 3M.

Does anybody have a background in writing grants?

Fablab got started from a NSF grant, perhaps it is worth searching out for funds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:04 pm 

i'll be very upfront and say that i do have arts nfp grant application expierence, but really hate development work. we need to be a nfp to look at grants, not necessarily 501c3, but it's a decent place to start at.

imho, the way we'll probably manage this is somethign along these lines:

get organized while doign some group projecty sorts of things, form a 501c3, do some thigns out of someone's garage for a few months while we build a modest ammount of cash and get some membership, more than can meet in a garage, and appear committed to being around for a while, get a real estate agent, find a few spaces that will fit our needs, get a grant or gift from sponsor(s) to buy the space, or secure financing, find an architect willing to donate time, remodel it ourselves with proper permits, and code compliance, getting licensed trades in as appropriate, ideally donated time, and start doign classes to build membership asap while remodeling continues.

the other option is find a chunk of capital and build a business that does this, which will probably be a wealthy investor (in this economy) hiring a few folks as staff, and getting our input for free to make a money making business (like make mag)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:07 pm 

Check out http://grants.gov/ . The science and technology section has over 600 grants to look through that might be related to this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:55 pm 

Paul-

I know you are busy, but it seems if you could start the ball rolling on setting up an NFP, we could start to talk more about donations and funding. I personally suggest getting it up by tax rebate season. I could think of no better way of spending my rebate check than to donate it to a NFP AKA Twin Cities Maker. Remember, we don't need to have the trade name, and twin cities maker could suffice for the legal application name.

Resources:

Minnesota Council of Nonprofits: Getting Started
http://www.mncn.org/info_start.htm

Betsy Lulfs
Director, Minnesota Office of Science and Technology
1st National Bank Building
332 Minnesota Street, Suite E200
Saint Paul, MN 55101-1351
651.296.5287 FAX
[email protected]
(Might be worth having a conversation with her. I know DEED likes community, education, and corporate partnerships)

I know this probably should be under Location, but check it out! (It's DEED's commercial locations listing service)
http://www.deed.state.mn.us/bizdev/locating.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:40 am 
Site Admin

I know it seems like we might be dragging our feet here at the start of all of this but there are a lot of details to work out. And I have been finding out a lot of really great information that I would like to share once I get back to the cities.

Not to be negative, but don't even have a clearly defined goal as of yet, and forming a non profit is not the easiest thing in the world there is a lot of paper work and applying and there needs to be a board of directors... ect.

Thank you for the research, it surely will be used in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:53 am 

paul, you hit the nail on the head.

at this point brainstorming is brilliant, however until we've got some ducks at least headed in one direction following up on stuff or putting our name out there is only going to confound things.

we will need some sort of legal person to help organize either as a nfp or llc and that's gonna cost $$ unless we find a lawyer who's willing to donate time, ideally because they're a maker themselves, but we don't need them until we've figured out ourselves what we are going to be.