Site Logo

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What can you pay monthly for workshop space?
$20 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
$40 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
$60 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
$80 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
$100 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
$120 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: OK folks, let's get serious about money.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:32 am 

I for one, would love to swing a hammer toward Metis...

's anvil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 am 

Hey now. Play nice. No disrespecting teh anvil.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 am 

metis wrote:
this could change, it it seemed like with the exception of tools requiring training we wanted everyone to have access to everything?

and again, do we want a privileged logo polo shirt? if you can ONLY get it by paying more then it's a differentiation between members, (look what i did) but if you can get it for 20$ in the shop, why pay an extra 50 for it?

You really don't get this, do you? I never said it was about levels of shop access.

We'd have merchandise. T-shirts, mugs, shop aprons, whatever... all branded, custom artwork, etc. They'd be for sale to anybody. (Consignment shop?) For folks who contribute above a certain level, though, one thing they'd get as a token of our thanks might be their choice of 1 or 2 items gratis. The lost revenue to us for a couple of shirts would be far outweighed by the membership fees. This is not about flaunting "HEY LOOKIT ME I'M RICHER THAN YOU HA HA". Think more along the lines of MPR pledge drives.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:14 am 

By the way, I kinda like the idea of selling black berets with Wammie's hex-nut logo embroidered on 'em.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Good discussion, everyone.

Earlier in another thread, I favored the idea of a "founder's membership," but that was not necessarily in support of a "founding member" title or tag. I was supporting the idea that those who were able to provide significant startup funds would be offered a discount membership, say, 15% off for providing 2-5 years of membership fees, or whatever. Or these folks could also be given an incentive coupon pack for goods or services.

For example, people who are students can be given a "student discount," if they choose it, but we don't have to call them "student members." Those willing to work with cleanup and grounds maintenance can likewise be offered fee reductions.

So the idea of discounts or incentives for membership prepayments, support services, etc., sounds good to me and keeps all members as just "Twin Cities Makers" without level comparisons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:10 pm 

I think low monthly dues for clubhouse/basic access should be a priority, with student/military/unemployed/senior discounts. $20 and $10 baseline respectively for example. If you want to step up and pay more than the minimum per month i think you should be able to.

The rest of the money for rent and equipment should be collected through usage fees on big-ticket tools. If we buy a bridgeport mill for example, we should charge users a nominal hourly fee, like $5 per hour. A laser cutter or CNC $20 and so forth. If we rely on monthly dues for funding and equipment then the dues will be too high to justify a casual membership for me and I suspect a lot of the non-student, kid-rearing, employed types.

There was mention of a 72 hour access plan for a fixed rate, which I think is a good idea for basic stuff. However, I think pay to play should be the rule on our "capital" equipment.

Overall I like how this is picking up speed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:32 pm 

ok, theo explained....

nothing exclusive, just you can choose to pay more to get a different shirt that anyone could get anyway....

personally, i don't grok that, if i want the shirt i'll pay for it, and if i can give more $$ to MPR i will, but not because i get a shirt AND a mug. an exclusive thing might get me to kick up 5$ extra a month, but then i'm paying for something special, not something i'd want anyway.

upfront dues, i like as a way to build group capital, but i don't know how we'd balance that with equality over the membership. maybe xyz wants to be a founding member paying in 5 years advance dues but can't afford it as a lump, but will be a dues paying member for those 5 years.... i'm not keen on tagging one person over another for a lump sum. i'm ALL for folks paying a few months or years in advance to get us capital.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

I think starting off at say 40$ for everyone without the gimmicks is the way to go. remember this is just a baseline fee there in nothing stoping people from paying there dues years in advance. as per use fees be very careful as that can turn alot of people off who are already paying for consumables on top of there monthly dues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:40 pm 

Maybe we can come up with an incentive(odds-n-ends grab bag) for those who can get together the $$s for the whole year up front, that way we have more capital upfront for whatever it might go towards.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:25 am 

my ability(amount) to pay a monthly fee, depends solely on how much i would be able to get to the facility and use it(convenience).

As I live in Excelsior, and travel to Waconia for work, getting anywhere past downtown on a regular basis would be too far, so even $20/month would be a bad deal, but in the southwest suburbs, I could see paying as much as $80/month depending on whats at the facility, but most likely $60 would be comfortable for me to be able to burn off a day a week, or so

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next