Site Logo

 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: quiet forums
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Stillwater
The forums have been dead lately, but those of us on twitter, almost daily, have been throwing out ideas for projects, and links to other stuff that doesn't constitute a thread on its own. Which is the point of twitter. I know lots of people don't understand twitter, or are against it for some reason, but I think it'd be nice for non-tweeters to be able to see whats going on. I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 wordpress plugin that could display recent items with our #tcmaker hash tag.

thoughts?

_________________
My Blog
Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: quiet forums
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 385
Location: Minneapolis, MN
I know the following provides an rss feed of tweets tagged #tcmaker

http://search.twitter.com/search.atom?q=%23tcmaker

_________________
Check out #tcmaker on irc.freenode.net Click for Freenode Webchat
Maker Map - Add your location!
TC Maker Flickr Pool


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: quiet forums
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:42 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 am
Posts: 385
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Even better! I discovered this.

http://twitter.com/goodies/widget_search

Where you can create widgets that display the results of searches. Just fill it out to search for #tcmaker and you get this http://pyrodogg.com/tcwidget.html

_________________
Check out #tcmaker on irc.freenode.net Click for Freenode Webchat
Maker Map - Add your location!
TC Maker Flickr Pool


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: quiet forums
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Posts: 1444
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
jtbarclay wrote:
The forums have been dead lately, but those of us on twitter, almost daily, have been throwing out ideas for projects, and links to other stuff that doesn't constitute a thread on its own. Which is the point of twitter. I know lots of people don't understand twitter, or are against it for some reason, but I think it'd be nice for non-tweeters to be able to see whats going on. I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 wordpress plugin that could display recent items with our #tcmaker hash tag.

thoughts?
If people haven't had time in recent days to interact using our forum, would they have time to interact using blog? Help me out!

_________________
612-293-MAKE World Community Grid Team Page | Blog | Promo Flyers | Dues Info
Active Topics | Twitter Page | TCM Photos | View Your Posts | YIM waynoid | AIM wammie777


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: quiet forums
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:26 am
Posts: 378
I think jtbarclay's point is that there's not nothing going on with TCMaker, just that it's hidden from some subset of users based on subscription to Twitter or not.

For instance, anyone following me on Twitter would know I had a baby last week, because I tweeted about it, but I didn't have time to do much else. ;-)

It would require a little more discipline on the part of us tweet-a-makers, since I've seen things that would be of interest to TCMaker peeps without the hashtag. But it would probably be worth it.

_________________
Mike H.
My maker blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: quiet forums
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Stillwater
uptownmaker wrote:
I think jtbarclay's point is that there's not nothing going on with TCMaker, just that it's hidden from some subset of users based on subscription to Twitter or not.

For instance, anyone following me on Twitter would know I had a baby last week, because I tweeted about it, but I didn't have time to do much else. ;-)

It would require a little more discipline on the part of us tweet-a-makers, since I've seen things that would be of interest to TCMaker peeps without the hashtag. But it would probably be worth it.


exactly

_________________
My Blog
Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: quiet forums
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:05 pm
Posts: 17
I've run a forum for my hometown music scene as well as some close personal friends. I've learned over the years that having many different sections on a forum tends to dilute the content and people get a little overwhelmed when they haven't been on in a while or are new, and therefore opt out entirely. I've simplified everything down to a general discussion forum and maybe another section or two, and that helped keep people on the forums and active. 2 areas may be a little drastic for this forum, but I would reccomend simplifying the organization a bit.

Just my 2 cents.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: quiet forums
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:38 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:14 pm
Posts: 1444
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
efk wrote:
I've run a forum for my hometown music scene as well as some close personal friends. I've learned over the years that having many different sections on a forum tends to dilute the content and people get a little overwhelmed when they haven't been on in a while or are new, and therefore opt out entirely. I've simplified everything down to a general discussion forum and maybe another section or two, and that helped keep people on the forums and active. 2 areas may be a little drastic for this forum, but I would reccomend simplifying the organization a bit.

Just my 2 cents.
efk, Thanks for your 2 cents! We've simplified the forum to some extent already, but yes, we could probably do a little more. We've seen some trouble though with our database getting corrupted in some ways when we move things around. If we do a database export for backup, I'm not adverse to trying some more simplification.

_________________
612-293-MAKE World Community Grid Team Page | Blog | Promo Flyers | Dues Info
Active Topics | Twitter Page | TCM Photos | View Your Posts | YIM waynoid | AIM wammie777


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL Flash Games