Site Logo

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: "Log me in automatically" doesn't work for me.
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:47 pm 

I switched to using http://twincitiesmaker.com/forum and the auto-login has been working fine for several days for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:57 am 
Site Admin

I'm not really sure why switching to www.twincitiesmaker.com would help, it seems really strange if that is the case. I say that because all he did was change the DNS server to reinterpret Twin Cities maker as TC maker. Hopefully we can get some of these issues worked out so that the website is running up to par in the future.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:04 pm 

paulsobczak wrote:
I'm not really sure why switching to http://www.twincitiesmaker.com would help

He just means he's using that URL in his browser. It's nothing to do with DNS, not directly.

Apparently phpBB can only set a browser cookie for one domain, as opposed to multiple synonymous domains; that's why it remembers users' logins for twincitiesmaker.com, and not tcmaker.org. If you ask me, this is lame, but the phpBB developers probably haven't had a lot of requests to add this capability.

(guys, correct me if I'm wrong)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

that seems kind of strange considering that the board is hosted on TC maker.org and not on Twin Cities maker.com, given that I am not completely sure about the situation, but it seems strange considering that if you type in Twin Cities maker.com it redirects to TC maker.org and the only content you get is from the latter.

Are there any solutions that you can think of, or is this a problem that will need a lot of extra effort on our parts

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:25 pm 

paulsobczak wrote:
if you type in Twin Cities maker.com it redirects to TC maker.org

:? Um... but it doesn't.

Attachments:
File comment: to be fair, "tcmaker.org" also works, but there's no redirection
twincitiesmaker-dot-com.jpg
twincitiesmaker-dot-com.jpg [ 44.05 KiB | Viewed 2581 times ]

Last edited by Theo on Wed May 27, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attached screenshot

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Theo, you just had to scroll to the post that I had left concerning this topic to show that I was didn't you?

Does that mean that somehow, both of the servers are updating simultaneously with the new posters made? that is strange if it is the case

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:12 pm 

There's only just the one server (or rather, web host) and that's HostGator, courtesy of Orion. The way the DNS works, is both "twincitiesmaker.com" and "tcmaker.org" are pointing to our HostGator server, now. If any of our stuff still exists on PowWeb, it's all orphans and leftovers; it's not being updated.

I'm not trying to be difficult; I don't understand the confusion. Really.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure I fixed it.

There seem to be a number of nuanced bits when directing different domain names to the same server. While a request to either would be operating off the exact same information on the server, the requesting browser would still see them as two very distinct entities.

The scenario

Both twincitiesmaker.com and tcmaker.org point to the same server

A request for either will bring you to the blog mainpage, which has an explicit link to "http://www.tcmaker.org/forum"
Therefore, if you originally went to twincitiesmaker.com you are effectively going to the a different site (tcmaker.org) even though it's the exact same info.

Now, after clicking that link you land on this forum, which from your address bar would appear to be hosted on tcmaker.org/forum. Here's where the problem was located. The forum was still configured to present itself as twincitiesmaker.com when setting cookies. Obviously, any browser, regardless of your settings is not going to allow tcmaker.org set cookies for twincitismaker.com because it sees them as two completely separate sites.

I've just set the forum to set cookies as tcmaker.org since that's where it's linked to from just about everywhere.

Previous to this fix, going to twincitiesmaker.com/forum would have worked because the site and the domain the fourm thinks it's on would have matched.

This brings about a few deeper issues. Since browsers cannot tell that twincitiesmaker.com and tcmaker.org are the same site they should not directly point to the same server as they are now. This appears to be bad practice for a number of reasons. We have these configuration issue with the software only being able to be configured for one domain or the other. Another being sites like Google would see it as two sites with the exact same content. Duplicate content doesn't look too good.

Proposed solution

One domain should be picked as the primary and point to the server (tcmaker.org)

The other (twincitiesmaker.org) should become something like a 301 Permanent redirect to the main site. It should not directly point to the same content of the primary.

Then, all links on the site and all software operating on the site should be configured to operate on the primary domain only.

Any corrections from actual network administrators?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:08 pm 

That's the best answer, if you need to set persistent cookies. It can help with other problems as well, a lot of web apps I've dealt with in the past don't handle multiple domain names very well.