Site Logo

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Securing Member Discount on Classes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am 

N00b Questions #2:

When registering for a class (like, for instance, the awesome laser-cutting class coming up), how does one get the discounted member-rate? I couldn't find an option on the eventbrite page for anything of the sort. Is it more like a refund that comes later?

Thank you!

-- Ragmash

Post subject: Re: Securing Member Discount on Classes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 pm 
Global Moderator

As we don't have have way to link member discounts with Eventbrite we have discontinued member discounts for classes. We also had an issues where our classes were oversubscribed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:44 am 
Site Admin

videoman wrote:
As we don't have have way to link member discounts with Eventbrite we have discontinued member discounts for classes. We also had an issues where our classes were oversubscribed.
I don't recall seeing this change announced. But also, my understanding was that not every class actually included a member discount, only select events. There still exists the possibility, I believe, of classes being offered for members only. I don't know why EventBrite would have to be the only channel to administer class signups, so I'd hope that possibilities still exist for mixed member/non-member classes with member discounts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:46 am 
Global Moderator

As we are now a non-profit we have access to the discounted side of Eventbrite (it's super cheap now for us) and are now using it to track all of the data having to do with classes. We need this data for tracking, and to help understand what our community class trends are. We are also using it to track expenses, attendance, etc.

We attempted to offer discounts, but they were not really used, and we did have one class that was capped at 8, but somehow got 10 folks registered, two of those being discounted members. So we stopped doing that via Eventbrite, as we don't have the resources to manage this.

Sorry.

Unless someone wants to donate time to help Scott, and myself out with event scheduling, that's they way it needs to be. And by time, it needs to be someone who can put in consistent time (4-8hrs/week) over a long period of at least 1-2 years. This is a critical need for our space, and is a very important part of our mission as being a 501(c)3 entity and we need to keep it simple until we have the resources.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 pm 
Global Moderator

As I am finding out at Free Geek, tracking some items make all the difference in the world in the large organization grant / donation world. Tracking Volunteer hours, processed goods, solid accounting, and tangible metrics appears the be the language they need to understand what we do.

Now Evenbrite appears to be a great tool for event tracking, you should also track the hours of the people who go to Kansas, Detroit, the Science Museum, and those other events and appearances the group does. These make good press, but even better they show that a donation to TC Makers will be noticed.

I always note that the member benefit of these classes is that in most cases you can return the next day and have access the space, where non-members do not.

But that is just one opinion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:30 am 
Global Moderator

Awesome thoughts! I'll bring it up to the board on how we can track our volunteer hours!