December 27th, 2012 by Obi-Bob
Local members of The Replica Prop Forum will be having a Prop Party on Saturday, January 19 starting at 3PM at The Hack Factory. Ever wanted to see what a “real” raygun, phaser or lightsaber from movies and TV looks like? This is the time to find out! Talk to the builders and collectors of replica movie memoribilia and have your deepest questions answered. Feel free to bring any props, models or costumes of your own that you want to show off.
December 23rd, 2012 by danbackslide
Ever wanted to make something blink or buzz, but don’t know where to start? This is the class that will teach you the basics of what an Arduino can do, and how microcontrollers are awesome!
The January class is on Saturday, January 5, from 10:00am to 3:00pm.
The January class is our first Saturday Arduino class. We’ll be running both sessions in one day, with a lunch break. After class, feel free to stick around for Open Hack!
Cost is $50, which includes a parts kit we’ll be using in class (it’s yours to keep!). Students will need to supply their own Arduino board and laptop.
- The class focuses on the Arduino Uno model, but everything works with the Arduino Mega as well. The Arduino Leonardo is new and I haven’t had a chance to play with it, but I expect it’ll play nicely.
- Arduino-compatible boards/Arduino clones might cause some issues — pin layouts may be different, and in some cases they’re not 100% code-compatible. If you already have one, feel free to bring it in, but if you’re just getting started I recommend buying an official Arduino board.
- If you don’t have an Arduino, they’re available at most local Radio Shack stores, and also at Micro Center in St. Louis Park. Or you can check the Vend-A-Kit machine at the Hack Factory! (And of course you can mail-order one, but where’s the instant gratification in that?)
- If you haven’t got a laptop, please get in touch. We can possibly work something out.
December 10th, 2012 by Orkraider
I’ve decided to sneak in one last bow making class before the world ends on the 21st of December.
This class happens this Sunday, December 16th, from 10 am to 6 pm, at the Hack Factory.
If you want to be ready for the end of the world, prepare for the zombie apocalypse, have the perfect accessory for your Hawkeye or Archer costume, or fancy yourself as the next Katniss Everdeen, this is your chance.
Below is a link to the class:
You can be like this guy:
All the details about the class:
Introduction to Bow Making
Learn to make a fully functional American flat bow!
Read the rest of this entry »
December 10th, 2012 by videoman
We are having our annual membership sale/drive this year! What does that mean? If you want to save some $$, and plan to support our community, this is a good alternative to paying for a monthly membership. This sale discounts an annual membership by $180!
- Who: Any member or new member can take advantage of this.
- What: 2013 annual membership for $480! That’s %27.27 off annual dues. *
- When: Only from December 15th, 2012 to January 15th 2013.
- Where: Website or in person on a Wednesday night.
- Why: Because we like you, and want to give long standing members a discount.
*Memberships purchased during this sale are non-refundable after Jan 16th 2013, this is a one time sale to raise funds for our space, and we need to count on those funds being available over the 2013 year.